Cold weather

the grim reeper

A2OC Donor
Well the cold weather must be playing with the cars, car was in the garage overnight (big frost) early start so i didn't want spend ages scrapping the screen at 5am:eek:, anyway had a bit of a covering of snow overnight temp saying 1 degree, left for work got a mile into journey to work, flashing coil started (had this before but only for a minute then nothing for months). Just as turned into work the ABS light comes on as well as traction light (constant) not flashing, turned the car off restarted all lights off, so reversed back and pulled forward just to see if moving did anything
As i pulled back handbrake warning comes on then all the previous lights come back on

after work puts on the computer at work, scan comes up with a few sparadic faults but the only one that stays on is the brake senser, but then on the way home the warning goes out :confused:

will see how it goes tomorrow

Cheers Phil

would be interested what you find with this. Ive had the ABS/ESR and ( ! ) light come on. im convinced it is something to do with the cold weather (although i do know next to nothing about cars!). Randomly came on a couple of days ago...since then comes on everytime i use the car within about 3 mins of setting off!

I had the coolant level light beep and flash at me this morning, i left the car running whilst i scrapped the snow off the car and the light went off!

I had the same coolant level light beep and flash at me as well this morning as i warmed up the wifes car, the temperature was reading -3.

I was wondering if some of the engine pipes may be a little frozen? :confused:

My car was fine, although it has started to make that winding noise from the starter motor on start up since the cold weather spell.

I had the same coolant level light beep and flash at me as well this morning as i warmed up the wifes car, the temperature was reading -3.

I was wondering if some of the engine pipes may be a little frozen? :confused:

Has the car had it's cambelt, water pump & coolant changed yet?

'If' the water is freezing, sounds like the anti-freeze is not at suitable strength.

But I'd initially be thinking that a sensor was at fault.

The cambelt, water pump & coolant were changed last year, it's a possibility that the coolant is not of the required strength. But then the dial that show's the temperature never leaves its starting point even if the engine has been driven for hours, it's an X reg SE and it has never skipped a beat. :cool:

Been zipping all over the place in the Yaris today - brilliant little car in terms of its snow ability, on standard tyres as well!

As long as it's no more than 4-5" deep (that's 10-13cm for you youngsters!), then it'll plough through just about anything and is so much more surefooted than Tank, who is sat snug under his foot of snow, with his battery on trickle charge.

Cheers,

Mike

My two rear doors will not open, when I lock te car and try the doors the alarm will go off and the interior lights all come on, cant open them from the inside either... ummm

My service flap wouldn't open the other day when I popped it from inside. Washer fluid was empty and I couldn't see where I was going with a salt smeared windscreen in bright sunlight, so needed to top up.

Anyway gave the service flap a poke and a tug and heard a crack. Tried pulling the lever again to pop it open again and it opened fine. The thing was frozen shut!

Roll on spring... ;)

Jon

I had the same problem recently, ABS/ESR & (!) light on, this was an intermittant fault, somedays okay, some days it would come on. Had a scan and it turned out to be the offside front speed sensor for the ABS, sensor replaced all well now!

would be interested what you find with this. Ive had the ABS/ESR and ( ! ) light come on. im convinced it is something to do with the cold weather (although i do know next to nothing about cars!). Randomly came on a couple of days ago...since then comes on everytime i use the car within about 3 mins of setting off!

I was wondering someone is going to pull my car out from some snow at the bottom of a hill is there a ring to connect a rope already? or do I have to put that towing eye bar on that I think is in the boot?

Last edited:
You need to attach the tow eye Richard - you know that the socket is behind the offside fog lamp cover?

Cheers,

mike

Just as turned into work the ABS light comes on as well as traction light (constant) not flashing

This exact thing happened to me on the way home tonight. I got about a mile away from work when the ASR and ABS lights came on, along with a parking brake 'picture' on the DIS.

I pulled over, turned everything off and removed the key; then restarted only to find it hadn't helped and all warnings were still present. Repeated the procedure again and then all was fine for the remaining 22 miles home.

Very bizarre, I'll be performing a scan tomorrow!

-10 DegC this morning when I went to work - don't you just love the webasto heater!

Only problem I had was the low screen fluid alarm was flashing - funny I though as I never let it run down. Yes it was full of water but the pump had frozen! No sound at all.

Started working later in the day at -2 and in the sun but the damned low fluid won't clear - I suspect that the low level monitor is still frozen. I don't fancy taking the h/lamp out at the moment to investigate.

Just done a faultscan on my A2 and the following two problems came up:

Address 01 -------------------------------------------------------
1 Faults Found:
18075 - Valve for Pump-Jet: Cylinder 2 (N241): Electrical Malfunction
P1667 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
Readiness: N/A

Address 03 -------------------------------------------------------
1 Faults Found:
01314 - Engine Control Module
013 - Check DTC Memory - Intermittent

Anyone had experience with these?

The first one points towards a loom/injector fault and the second is due to a momentary fault condition logged by the ABS.

Clear them both and see what happens. It might be that your injector loom is on its way out.

Cheers,

Mike

The first one points towards a loom/injector fault and the second is due to a momentary fault condition logged by the ABS.

Clear them both and see what happens. It might be that your injector loom is on its way out.

Cheers,

Mike

I think the first one is ultimately the cause of my lumpy idle and flat-spots (now seemingly spreading across the rev-range especially when cold - so a bit of a recurring item at present!). I'll get the loom checked out next week.

I'm using the smart and my experience is similar to Mike's Yaris Only thing to really watch is the short wheel base means it needs controlling in a slide.
How the Heck do you get a Smart car into a slide
you'll be telling us you do handbrake turns next LOL !!!!
Only Joking mate i bet its great fun .....

Easy - a little extra throttle with some steering lock on gets the back-end stepping out on slush, snow or ice; a gentle dab of Queef-esque oppo and it all comes back nicely. The non-assisted steering has decent feel even though the chassis is set-up to understeer, in these conditions you can get it to move around at the back.

Do you have one of them stickers on the back that says short vehicle
When its spinning round it must feel like one of them
Wurlitzer things on the fairground LOL !!!!

Back