Comparisons

Status
Not open for further replies.

shao_khan

Past Member
Well got a loan car while mine is being fixed (or rebuilt whichever way you look at it). The loan car is 1.4TDi sport with Audi body kit, mine is 1.4 SE with Projekt Zwo body kit, both with similar mileage.

Sports seats - I like them, better support, and I found them also more comfortable on my 60 miles journey to work this morning.

Trim - (forgive me I cannot remember names here) - MIne has the trim with a rough texture to it, the sport has the trim with the grey diagonal stripes across it. TO look at I like the sport trim better, but to feel/live with I like the SE, the sport trim feels as though it isnt as hard wearing (just my impression).

Petrol vs Oilburner, well i must say I wish I hadnt driven the smoker as now I want to change cars, from a start the petrol is far smoother and feels quicker, but on the motorway in gear acceleration is sooooo much better on the diesel, it is also when moving far more fun to drive as it responds better and honestly feels quicker in almost every aspect. Also my journey this morning averaged 56mpg compared to my usual 44mpg, I know you cant complain at the petrol figure, but the diesel is very good in motorway traffic and north circular.

Functionality - the TDi has the DIS and I can thoroughly reccomend it, instant MPG figures, none of this pen and paper malarky - and the range function is great - a must for any future purchases. TDi has upgraded soundpack (4 speakers I think compared to my 2) and only worth the money for the CD player, sound doesnt improve with the additional speakers, maybe benefit if you have rear seat passengers on a regular basis.

Body kit - Audi spoiler is nice, and more practical than the ProjektZwo one - doesnt cause so much obstruction to rear view.
Audi fron valance - YUK is all i can think of saying, i really dont like it in the flesh, it is understated to the point of not being there, in fact for the aesthetics it may as well not be there. Rear Valance looks cool, it rounds off the back nicely and complements the car well, but doesnt offer the twin rear pipes like the Projktzwo kit does, i prefer the more extreme twin pipe look, but both look cool. Side skirts - a must, look excellent.

Well thats it for day one.

Hiya mate, I tested Tdi and petrol before choosing petrol. I went for petrol 1.4SE for a few reasons.

1: Price, same spec cars were £1000-£1500 more expensive for Tdi, even with the 10mpg more it would take a lot of miles to make up £1500.

2: Bag of nails round town, I couldn't put up with that noisy 3cylinder oil burner, most of our driving is round town and short runs the lovel quiet and smooth petrol is so much more refined.

3: Performance, petrol feels so much nippier for our kind of driving (will admit that TDi had more poke when planing the foot at speed, but 1st gear in Tdi was useless)

Both have their plus points but with the more refined drive and constant 45-50mpg I am happy with my choice of 1.4SE petrol.

having spent the weekend doing some miles (about 600 or so) in the cotswolds I missed a couple of things - on a long journey my suspension is harsh at times, but in the twisty roads the GmbH stuff isnt upto the mark, car rolled a lot more and carrying speed through the corners was harder, which then highlighted the issues with the TDi - needed far more gear changes to keep the revs in power band and was slightly less fun to drive all in all on that kind of twisting road.

Also - doesnt diesel smell when you fill up the car....

I have a TDI SE and I found it to be great fun through the twisty stuff, power in at about 2300 and all the way to 4000, in my opinion if you notice the gear changes then you're in the wrong gear!

20mph - 1st
40mph - 2nd
60mph - 3rd
80mph - 4th (where permitted)
100++mph - 5th (where permitted) only seen 100mph once and that was at 3600rpm

As for the smell, its different from petrol so you will notice the change.

Lee and Sheridan,
TDI SE, Build 11/01, Dolphin Grey
50% Brighter Bulbs : Audi 6 CD Changer : Rear drinks holder : Floppy Wiper : Centre Tray : Elasticated Belt System : Chrome Numberplate Surround

Also took the petrol and the TDi for a spin and there was just no contest: diesel every day, for the Porsche 911 like sound it makes and the in gear instant urge in any gear... not to mention the fuel economy. BUT you only break even at 60000miles for the extra £1000 initial outlay, so economy can't be any "normal" driver's reason for buying the TDi... must be the urge and noise then!

____________________________________________________________________________________
[img=left]http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/180225.jpg[/img=left]
2001 A2 TDI SE Crystal Blue with Open Sky, 6CD Symphony II, BOSE upgrade, DIS and HALF a winterpack!

iPAQ 3970 with Sat-Nav sleeve, rear cupholders, luggage net and floppy wiper!

http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk23.htm

Having tried a TDI courtesy car whilst my FSI was being attended to, I must say that I thought the TDI was the better performer, there being much more urge in mid range. I find the FSI sluggish to say the least - it just does not feel like a sub 10 second car. May be at 5000 miles it has still not loosened up yet. Performance at or near the legal maximum seems OK.

mw

The FSI engine seems to be a bit like a petrol turbo powered car. The FSI technology seems to sense the car is being driven nicely and doesnt create a lot of power off the bottom - you need to rev it hard to get it to work.

Have you notice that when you sit idling in traffic at a junction that when you need to really pull out fast that there is no power? I have had this happen a couple of times and thought that I had selected 3rd instead of 1st but no... I have found that you need to give the car a rev just prior to wanting to go to get the engine to produce good power. (Anyone with a older petrol turbo car will know that you can give the engine a rev to get the turbo up to speed before you take off - viola! reduced turbo lag)

I really wanted the TDI to chip... but the engine wasn't Euro IV compliant (Company car tax)... checked the VCA Car data site the other day(http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/) and found they are now - DOH!

Cheers
Rod

As you are already aware shao kahn, I own a TDI Sport with the Audi kit, and I think that I agree with your comments about the kit. The front is lacking a bit of imagination, but hey I quite like the subtle look. The skirts make all the difference, really like the side, especially with the 17" Sport wheels!! The rear I also really like. As we've already discussed the twin pipes and the Audi kit in the modifications section I won't go into that, but like both kits on the rear, but do think that the Zwo spoiler is auwkwardly placed and a bit too much.

I must admit I miss the power under foot from my Mini Cooper, but was really pleasantly surprised by the amount of torque provided from the TDI. The Cooper would have left the TDI standing without trying, but the TDI is good for carming my driving style and provides a much more stylish and smooth drive!!

Although I knew that the power would completely die off after 4,000 rev's it still frustrates me, as I'm used to the power rising right through to 5,500, most of the cooper's power kicked in after 4,000 and that's when the fun started. I also miss the handling of the cooper. But hey, at least the A2 is falling apart due to bad construction, and isn't anywhere near as thirsty!! (fingers crossed).

I bought the A2 because of the bodykit and sports pack, without them I wouldn't have bought one to be honest as the standard body just looks a bit dull and family for me. (only 24 though!)

Silver TDI Sport | 17 inch TT alloys | Audi bodykit | CD | Climate control

quote:Originally posted by mediacitizen

but do think that the Zwo spoiler is auwkwardly placed and a bit too much.

Having drive the Audi kitted one for a while, I Might agree here - the audi rear spoiler for a start means you can see out of the rear, and I do like the little 'studs' in the sides. I had forgotten until I got mine back exactly how much the rear view is obstructed by the projektzwo spoiler.

Did the audi kitted one have spots in the front? As mine doesn't and I wish that it did to be honest, as it would break up the front design a bit, as that's what I feel it lacks, especially compared with the Zwo kit. Saying that I'm not sure if you can get standard spots as an option with the audi kit??

Silver TDI Sport | 17 inch TT alloys | Audi bodykit | CD | Climate control

No it didnt - but what you are saying actually i think identifies what the problem is - it is just too plain at the front, the fogs would add a little bit of change to it, and not the one piece grill at low level.

I have an image of what I think the problem is not sure how to post though ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back