Concert 2 in 2001 A2

Status
Not open for further replies.

p666

Hi,

I just wanted a point clarified please. I was hoping to get the Concert 2 CD player to replace my existing Chorus stereo, but I have now read that the Concert 2 stereo cannot be installed in pre 2002 A2's because of the different wiring in replace. Can someone please let me know if this is the case as I was about to purchase a Concert 2 from Ebay but wanted to make sure I can fit it in my March 2001 A2 before spending close to £200!
Any help\advice greatly appreciated.

many thanks!
P666

I have just bought a Concert on Ebay to go in our July 2001 A2 - and I can confirm that it wont work! The wiring plugs look the same but the pin functions are different as the later cars use something called CAN-bus, which is a more complicated data sigalling system (or something!). I had even checked with the Audi dealer, to see if the part number was compatable with our car - he thought it was. The unit was part number 8Z0 057 186A, which was the earliest version of the A2 Concert, so if this doesn't fit it makes me think that none of them will...

Hence my advert in the Selling section!

Thanks guys.
I think I'll just go for a Blaupunkt Woodstock stereo now, now just not sure which one to go for! The DAB54 looks like the best bet but not cheap even on Ebay.

many thanks!

Adding a CD changer might be an option, but the Chorus I has no controls designed for changer control, and the 'Add-a-CDchanger' site only mentions the Chorus II...

Anyway, we find changers a pain in the ---- as the CD's get left in for so long, you get fed up with them and then you never remember to change them before you set off, etc. etc.

I really wanted to have an Audi head unit to keep the look of the dash, but it's looking very unlikely now!

We find changers a hassle too and that is why we're just going for a new head unit whilst trying to make sure that looks as good as an Original audi HU. The Blaupunkt Woodstock DAB range seems the best option for looks and features.

News - have found a guy in Germany who is selling a CAN-bus 'emulator' to allow fitting of these later head units in our cars. He says he is using one in his 1999 A6 with good results and has sold quite a few in Germany. I'm getting one sent over, so I'll let you know if it works!

GrayB,
that is good news! Hope it works mate and look forward to hearing back from!
Fingers well and truly crossed!

P666

You will find that the Becker audio units look very original-equipment, and play mp3's. I* can drive from Calais to the south coast of France on two CD's. Makes a CD-changer unnecessary.

Chivers ':)'
'02 A2 1.4TDi SE

We have a Becker Monza in our Merc - it is very nice (if a little low powered) - but doesn't quite look like the Audi pucker item! If I dont manage to get the Concert working, the Becker is the fall back position.

Totally agree with GrayB, nothing looks like the Audi one! For the time being I have put a Kenwood cd player which s similar but still doesn't look right. Any news on your emulator? Also, did you order from a website and if so any chance you can give me the link?
Cheers,
P666

The emulator should be in transit to me - long process as I had to send payment to Germany etc. I found it on ebay - if you do a search by seller, looking for the name 'handerw' you should find them.

Thanks mate, I found them. I think I'll wait for you to try it before commiting to buy one just to be on the safe side.

Cheers!

Hi GrayB,
Been a while now and I was just wondering if you received the emulator and if you've tried it out yet?

Cheers,
P666

Well, we got the emulator mostly wired in - just 3 data wires that we are not sure where they go, however. Just writing to the supplier for more advice.

The Concert did power up correctly though - but wouldn't go to code entering mode, just sat there saying 'SAFE'....

All now working, thanks to Spike's suggestions on entering the security code (see other thread). The three extra data wires were only needed if the car had a DIS fitted - ours doesn't so they are redundant. However, I'm not sure where they would have gone if there was a DIS!

If anyone wants to try the CAN emulator, I will happily pass on the english translation o fthe instructions that a work colleague did for me.

Hi GrayB,
Congratulations mate! Got there in the end hey. I would love a copy of the instructions as I am now planning the same. I would be grateful if you can send the instructions to [email protected].

many thnaks,
P666

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back