Considering a 1.4 Petrol - What to Look For?

I'm still on the look-out for my first A2. The ones I've investigated so far have all been 1.4 TDI's, simply because those seem to be most available, but whilst the low tax, high MPG and longevity are attractive, and ULEZ isn't an issue, I won't be doing big miles, so I'm equally open to a 1.4 petrol.

So I'd be grateful for any advice on what specifically to pay attention to when considering / viewing the petrols, and more generally what sort of milage should they be good for?

Thanks!

Our AUA-engined car is approaching 206,000 miles at the moment, acquired in a reasonably poor condition 5-6 years ago. Depending on exactly how much effort and care previous owners have put in, as with any A2 at 20 years+ old you may need to consider :

Tyres, shocks, springs, strut top bearings, suspension bushes (ARB, drop links, front / rear spring covers / supports/bump stops)
Brake disks / pads / shoes / possibly brake pipes
Fuel / air / cabin air filters
Throttle body / EGR cleanliness (if not needing to be replaced) ; injector refurb, spark plugs, spark plug cords, coil pack, Lambda.
Belts (timing, auxiliary) ; possibly alternator depending on condition.
Coolant vessel lid, petrol cap, oil cap on top of engine.
Various internal buttons / switches depending on soft-touch wear (if perfect cosmetics are needed or anything has broken such as fuel lid release)
Shampoo / wetvac seats and carpets
Headlamp polishing
Numberplate lamp holders
A/C gas charge if it is holding pressure

Obviously if you get a half decent one through A2oc or similar you should expect a fair amount of the above to have already been done.

I'm still on the look-out for my first A2. The ones I've investigated so far have all been 1.4 TDI's, simply because those seem to be most available, but whilst the low tax, high MPG and longevity are attractive, and ULEZ isn't an issue, I won't be doing big miles, so I'm equally open to a 1.4 petrol.

So I'd be grateful for any advice on what specifically to pay attention to when considering / viewing the petrols, and more generally what sort of milage should they be good for?

Thanks!
I will have a very nice example ready for sale next week. 1.4 SE, silver, grey cloth seats, Soul Black interior, 107,000 miles, 12 months MOT. £1750 lots of history, 2keys.

I will have a very nice example ready for sale next week. 1.4 SE, silver, grey cloth seats, Soul Black interior, 107,000 miles, 12 months MOT. £1750 lots of history, 2keys.
Thanks - I'd definitely be interested, although I'm in Norwich and it looks like you're in Somerset, so distance may be a bit of an issue!

Our AUA-engined car is approaching 206,000 miles at the moment, acquired in a reasonably poor condition 5-6 years ago. Depending on exactly how much effort and care previous owners have put in, as with any A2 at 20 years+ old you may need to consider :

Tyres, shocks, springs, strut top bearings, suspension bushes (ARB, drop links, front / rear spring covers / supports/bump stops)
Brake disks / pads / shoes / possibly brake pipes
Fuel / air / cabin air filters
Throttle body / EGR cleanliness (if not needing to be replaced) ; injector refurb, spark plugs, spark plug cords, coil pack, Lambda.
Belts (timing, auxiliary) ; possibly alternator depending on condition.
Coolant vessel lid, petrol cap, oil cap on top of engine.
Various internal buttons / switches depending on soft-touch wear (if perfect cosmetics are needed or anything has broken such as fuel lid release)
Shampoo / wetvac seats and carpets
Headlamp polishing
Numberplate lamp holders
A/C gas charge if it is holding pressure

Obviously if you get a half decent one through A2oc or similar you should expect a fair amount of the above to have already been done.
Thanks for the comprehensive check-list, that's really useful! As a non-mechanic (but reasonably mechanically minded), I'm assuming some parts of that would be easier to check than others when looking over a potential purchase? For example, I'm confident to check tyres, brakes and fluids, watch out for exhaust smoke, listen for engine noise and be aware of knocks and bangs on a test drive etc. but that's about the limit of my knowledge / experience. I'm certainly not expecting a 20+ year old car to be issue free, so just wondering whether evidence of certain of those jobs being done / a good service history is generally the best bet? I have had cars inspected / given a quick once-over at a local garage in the past, but that's probably less realistic in respect of a cheaper vehicle that's likely to be with a private seller and some way away from home.

Thanks for the comprehensive check-list, that's really useful! As a non-mechanic (but reasonably mechanically minded), I'm assuming some parts of that would be easier to check than others when looking over a potential purchase? For example, I'm confident to check tyres, brakes and fluids, watch out for exhaust smoke, listen for engine noise and be aware of knocks and bangs on a test drive etc. but that's about the limit of my knowledge / experience. I'm certainly not expecting a 20+ year old car to be issue free, so just wondering whether evidence of certain of those jobs being done / a good service history is generally the best bet? I have had cars inspected / given a quick once-over at a local garage in the past, but that's probably less realistic in respect of a cheaper vehicle that's likely to be with a private seller and some way away from home.
Thanks - I'd definitely be interested, although I'm in Norwich and it looks like you're in Somerset, so distance may be a bit of an issue!

I’d be happy to show you everything to look for on one of these. I seem to have fallen into the situation where I get given the heads up on A2’s that need saving and do just that. Any significant problems I sort and once MOT’d use them for a while to make sure everything is ok then sell them on.

I did PM you-did you see it?

Don't forget the dreaded pressed steel (replaceable ball joint) front wishbones fitted from 2003 cars can corrode from the inside out. Pre 2003 cars should be cast (non replaceable) wishbones.
James.

Back