Considering a Remap

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdiddy

Considering remapping my A2 tdi.

Has anyone already had it done? Is it worth it?
I would probably use revo-technik, the cost would work out at about £600 but this would include a plug in unit which allows you to switch between standard and tuned ECU settings, and there is a dealer close where i live. Their map gives about 108 bhp from the 75 bhp.
Anyone used revo or others? Any comments appreciated.
Also any other "must do" mods?

Thanks Phil.

A2 tdi se, hopefully, in the not to distant future

I see that AMD are advertising a re-map for the 1.6FSI which gives +10BHP for £350.
Anyone tried it?

Mervyn

2002 FSi SE, Ebony Black with Red Nappa Leather, 17" Sport Wheels, 2004 grill, Tinted Security Glass (+Road Angel)

That revo chip sounds good. very good power increase.
How does it stand with being detected by garage?
Any idea with how it will affect servicing ?
My A2 is only 3 months old so i would be worried about the warranty.
Do they offer any kind of 3 year warranty ?
cheers
hope someone canhelp.

andy

1.4TDI SE, DIS ,Leather ,CD ,ipod ,Climate ,Road Angel ,Tom Tom Go.

With companies like Impossible Performance already doing chips for £300 why not walk this route.

Their performance is well documented on these pages and with a possible 115bhp from a 75bhp engine, this has got to be worth it.

Just for the record, I had mine done within the first few weeks of getting A2, I believe that mine was the first that they had done. The performance speaks for itself-

Better 0-60 [Golf 2.0GTi area]
Fast 70-100 [just unbelievably fast]
Top speed so far 124mph [slight decline] but sits on 115mph
Mpg @ 70mph approx 55-60mph [tank to tank reading]
Best mpg so far from a 42L tank with a 35L refill is 610m

Now DO YOU REALLY want the remap at £600

That sounds even better ,but what about warranty ?
Could you link me to some of the existing posts ,as
i cant find them doing a search.
cheers

andy

My A2 is more than 3 years old, would not fancy doing it on a newer model as i`m sure it would invalidate warranty. I think revo offer a one year warranty with their remap. As far as detection goes, i honestly don`t know, this was the main reason for getting the plug in to switch between standard and tuned ie. if it needs to go in for any reason, switch back to standard.

Service intervals would still depend on your driving style, although with 110bhp on tap, i guess it would be shorter.

The link for revo-technik is http://www.revotechnik.com/

EF max could you possibly post the link or a phone number for impossible performance as i would like to compare the two products. BTW for remap only i think it is £399 plus vat for the revo remap, the
switch box is £149 plus Vat, if i remember correctly!!

Thanks Phil.

A2 tdi se, hopefully, in the not to distant future

Cheers boss.
Interesting stuff - maybe in the future.

thanks

andy

I'm soon to pick up my 1.4 TDi (hopefully this week)
Also thinking about a chip of some sort. What sort of effect does it have insurance wise?

wise words - these should be viewed as short terms gains at the expense of long term reliability.

the 'mines be fine for ages' effect is strong with things like these, as people want to believe that there is no downside.

the most important thing with turbos is ensuring that the inlet charge temps are kept under control - upping the boost and leaving the stock intercooling in place is a classic recipe for problems sooner or later.

internal mechanical components are not necessarily immediately at risk - it's the pistons that will fail first though in these circumstances, usually due to overheating as a result of AFRs becoming lean or simply because charge temps runaway. Piston ring lands can get crushed as well, but I would expect Diesel pistons to be forged so this is unlikely.

the bottom line is that these increase are probably removing most of the safety margin - a healthy well maintained engine will cope fine for some time I'm sure - but do not expect another 100k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back