Contemplating a change!!

Aikon

Past Member
I have kept my A2 for longer than any car I have ever owned, finally I have found something that comes close to replicating the things I like about the A2.

Clickety click

I'd be content with a 3 door, add bluetooth, tinted windows, comfort pack and the 60000 mile servicing (£180) and I'd be a happy bunny with one of these, only real downside is it's band C. Time for a test drive methinks.

NOOO! Not a BMW - shame on you - at least look at an A3, wait for A1 or Skoda Fabia. Remember a lot of those bombers 60 years ago had BMW engines...:eek:

Don't forget to book yourself in on the obligatory 'Aggressive School of Driving' course. Then'll it'll be perfect. :D

B

LOL Thought that might be the reaction!! Test drive booked in a 120d for Monday, I'll keep you posted.....

You want a BMW im selling My 2003 '03' 325i M sport in beautiful Imola Red with all the toys yours a mere £10k;)

Anything for a free plug.

If any ones interested just pm me.

heres a pic
DSCF0563.jpg

I had the 120d for 1 week, changed it directly for the A180D,

I can tell you, you will not like it, the sit is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to low, it is not really up to BMW standards

Before I saw the light and swapped for my A2 tdi I had a "new mini". I changed to the A2 for economy, Wifey drives an A6 Avant tdi (yeah i know - something wrong there!) and has weak back from horse riding accident - the mini was a bit too low for her. Great car, 17" low profile wheels, rare metallic mint green, full aero kit (low body kit) sun roof etc etc. Amazing go-cart to drive, quick, great smiley fun. People waved me out of junctions, pulled over on motorways to let me pass and generally smiled and approved. THEN...I had some accident damage, BMW took it in and gave me a black 1 series courtesy car. I thought that was great - a brand new shiney black Beemer to play with. A week of being cut up at roundabouts, couldn't get off a garage fore court, no chance of anyone moving over on motorways and picked up three supermarket trolley dents in the week. People aren't sure about the A2 but it suprises them on take off. The mini was accepted and everyone smiled and approved. The 1 series just peed everyone off.

Might put an A3 on the list, trouble is I've spent a couple of days behind the wheel of a Merc C270 CDi this week and it's made me realise the A2 is very noisy, I do around 700 miles a week so a quieter car would be welcome, I just can't see myself in a large estate car. The BMW came to light in this weeks Auto Express which also had another A2 excerpt this week.

I drive one of the most aggressive looking BMWs ever, all blistered arches and big wing, side skirts and all that, and I get let out of junctions, I get people coming up to me and talking to me about my car, I even sometimes get waves (only very rarely, and no they are friendly waves). What is all this about people not liking BMWs? OK so my BMW is almost 20 years old and maybe new ones are a bit different, but really, I think you lot are over reacting. Maybe its just you? I get more people cutting me up in the A2 as most drivers assume that (a) I'm old & senile (b) I don't know anything about cars as I drive a shopping car and (c) the A2 has a 1.0 engine in it. If you can't understand why people like BMWs, perhaps you should go and have a go in one? We do some work for BMW Oxford and one of my colleagues was leant a debadged 118d one series for a day, he didn't realise it was a diesel until he gave it back - and he drives a 3.0 V6 Alfa Romeo - seems ridiculous but its true. Until you spend some time in a rear wheel drive car with uncorrupted steering, great unassisted traction, near 50:50 weight distribution, low seating position, great control weighting and perfect ergonomics it can be hard to understand what the fuss is about, and perhaps thats why people focus on the fact that BMWs look a bit funny now. Apart from the looks, people moan about the hard ride they have now, but coming from an A2 I'm sure that it won't be any worse that you're used to. Audis have never been known for producing cars that drive well, and apart from the latest TT and RS4 etc they have never been pitched as drivers cars, and quite right too.

You know when ones thumb and forefingers are brought together in a a cylindrical fashion, this 'hand stance' held then rythymically moved upwards and downwards at approx 8 Hz?

That is *not* a wave.

lyndonbuck said:
Audis have never been known for producing cars that drive well, and apart from the latest TT and RS4 etc they have never been pitched as drivers cars, and quite right too.
If you believe everything that the motoring press tell you, then that's your luck out.
Yes, they always snipe at Audi for producing 'boring' cars, basically calling them too good and they're even doing that for the new R8. Well excuse me for likeing perfection, but if I'm shelling out my hard earned, then I expect a car to be pretty much perfect, not something a bit lairy and raggedy-edged.

I suppose that the track and rally success of Audi is also boring - basically, pretty much everything they enter, they win. Last year, they did it with a diesel car for gods sake and they're still slated! You just can't win with some people and journalists are definitely amongst that group.

Cheers,

Mike

OK point taken, but writing everyone off for the car they drive is a bit harsh, especially if they have no choice in the matter, as is often the case with BMW company cars.

lyndonbuck said:
OK point taken, but writing everyone off for the car they drive is a bit harsh, especially if they have no choice in the matter, as is often the case with BMW company cars.

We all have a choice where we work, what we drive and who we are. :)

bmw series 1

aikon
try a 120d in comparison im sure youll go for it it is i belive the fastest diesel at 2litre s or below.
we looked at a 1 series 5 door but if you have kids or want rear passengers at any time then ithink it will be cramped. Front space is good as youd expect. also you get naff all as standard! get one of the auto brokers to quote you on a uk sourced model and then take it back to you local franchise to see if they can match it !

Good hunting
Paulc

It was a while before I got to drive a modern diesel, and I'd been very keen to see if the oft-spouted 'you can't tell them from a petrol' was true. It isn't. Sorry, but someone who can't tell the difference between a 118d and an old-school Alfa six should get around by bus.

(I don't say this as a criticism of the diesel, btw. I know that they have their considerable strengths, and each to their own!)

Back