Conti Sport Contact 3 215/40 R17

Hi all,

It's that time again now for me - I need replacement tyres.

I'm in need of 4 new 215 40 R17 Conti Sport Contact 3's and wondered if anyone has any contacts in the tyre world.

The best price I've found so far is £122 each, fitted, balanced and inc VAT.
These are in Nottingham, so 120 mile round trip, therefore the total including travel is £500

I'd like to purchase tomorrow or Tuesday, so if anyone knows how I can save some money, please let me know.
I'm not interested in any other make, size or part-worn.

Thanks for reading.

Jeff

That seems to be a very good price. I checked Camskill and Mytyres and with fitting, both would be more expensive

Cheers Spike

I have them on my TT, they are pretty good! Lots of grip, although my front are almost worn out. I have only done about 12-15k

Cheapest I could see was National Tyres at ~£506 fitted, but that was taking advantage of a 10% discount via my employer... your price looks great. Only other thing I could think of was Costco has been suggested to me several times but I believe they're Michelin only now, and you require a members card.

Cheers

Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

I've checked all four with a depth gauge and I have 2.5mm front and 4mm rear, so I've got a little more depth than I first thought, however the fronts are just on the wear indicator.

I called Mr Tyre in Nottingham to verify the price I obtained over the phone and have now been told the price quoted did not inculde valves, balancing or fitting, just the price of the tyres - so not the great deal I thought, and I've been told they're going up by £10 per tyre next week :(

This probably means I'm now looking at £600 fitted for all four

I think I'll swap my rears to the front and repalce a pair at a time.

I'm going to keep searching for the best possible price, but if anyone finds a bargain, feel free to post.

Cheers

Jeff

Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

I've checked all four with a depth gauge and I have 2.5mm front and 4mm rear, so I've got a little more depth than I first thought, however the fronts are just on the wear indicator.

I called Mr Tyre in Nottingham to verify the price I obtained over the phone and have now been told the price quoted did not inculde valves, balancing or fitting, just the price of the tyres - so not the great deal I thought, and I've been told they're going up by £10 per tyre next week :(

This probably means I'm now looking at £600 fitted for all four

I'm going to keep searching for the best possible price, but if anyone finds a bargain, feel free to post.

Cheers

Jeff

Jeff

As you are in Nottingham..
Have you tried Embassy Tyres near Cinderhill roundabout?

Always used to be very well priced

J

That sounds a common sense option. 4mm tyres on the back will still last you another year anyway.

I thought I'd found you tyres last night at £118 fitted but then realised they weren't Sport Contact 3 :(

Black Circles were coming in at £132 inclusive, and a quick Google also returned a couple of voucher codes for 5% off which were considered 'unreliable' but worth a try. I'd stick my neck out and email them if the voucher code doesn't work - it's only £15 but would pay for your fuel to the supplier if its a distance away.

As a matter of shameless curiosity - why must they be this specific tyre?

Didn't the lad that Mike bought the yellow colour.storm from work in the tyre industry? Think it was 'marky999' or something like that. Maybe worth an email.

Good luck.

M

I think I'm going to have to change both my fronts. Front/left has a 8mm cut on the sidewall, and the front/right is looking worn (will need to check the tread depth). So far, Michelin Energy Saver Plus looks like the front-runner ... pretty good reviews (my other 3 tyres are also Michelins ... although 2 generations behind).

As a matter of shameless curiosity - why must they be this specific tyre?

M
Well, as I enjoy some spirited driving on the country lanes of Northants, all within the legal speed limits, I find the handling on steering superb in both dry and wet conditions, especially on S bends.
Traction is very good in icy conditions, although I do use winter rubber on 15's when the bad weather is prolonged.
The tyre noise is more than acceptable.
I've seen about 24k miles from the fronts, and likely to see a further 12K to 15K miles from the rears.

Apart from the above, I've used Conti's for a number of years and never had a defect, unlike a set of Pirelli P6000 Powergy’s when I was running 16's. Three out of four new tyres with less than 4k miles had bulges on the inner side wall.
Pirelli refused to admit there was a manufacturing defect and wouldn't consider even a part refund.
Therefore, Pirelli will not have any of my business.

Unfortunately I don't have much experience of other premium makes of 17" tyre on the A2, so I'm really basing my potential purchase on what I know works for me, but I don't want to go the budget route.
I've looked at Kumho and Hankook but no idea how they fair compared to Continental.

My last price for 4 Conti Sport Contact3 was £116 each fitted, so I'm happy to be persuaded to try something else that will deliver what I'm used to, especially as my local tyre shop wants £148.60 each fitted, so about a 30% increase in the past 18 months.

Cheers

Jeff

Back