Coolant temp sensor/gauge intermittent

MickAli

United-Kingdom
So I went on a long 600m round trip and the temp gauge dropped to zero a few times during the journey.
I have run to work today after plugging in VCDS (there are no fault codes in engine module) and monitored the coolant temperature. This rose gradually as expected and when it achieved 102degrees on VCDS screen the dash gauge then came straight up to 90 (it didn't move till then).
The gauge hasn't dropped so far today so I couldn't see what VCDS would say if it did. I will be checking and cleaning connections on day off, but till then.
Questions:
1. Which coolant sensor sends the signal to ecu, the G62 or G83? Which one is VCDS reading? I only ask as the gauge didn't move till 90degrees
2. Is it normal for the gauge to move from zero straight to 90 rather than climb gradually?
3. Is this a known/common issue

Cheers
Mick

So I went on a long 600m round trip and the temp gauge dropped to zero a few times during the journey.
I have run to work today after plugging in VCDS (there are no fault codes in engine module) and monitored the coolant temperature. This rose gradually as expected and when it achieved 102degrees on VCDS screen the dash gauge then came straight up to 90 (it didn't move till then).
The gauge hasn't dropped so far today so I couldn't see what VCDS would say if it did. I will be checking and cleaning connections on day off, but till then.
Questions:
1. Which coolant sensor sends the signal to ecu, the G62 or G83? Which one is VCDS reading? I only ask as the gauge didn't move till 90degrees
2. Is it normal for the gauge to move from zero straight to 90 rather than climb gradually?
3. Is this a known/common issue

Cheers
Mick
Which engine?
Mac.

Good Morning,

In future please state engine code when posting it saves everyone looking up what you have in 'About'. (Applies to everyone!).

The temperature engine outlet sensor is G62 but you would have known that if you had been using the in-house VCDS download add-in published recently, suggest you read the thread.

1685619324729.png

From what you describe with gradual warm up from cold reaching 102℃ sounds normal. If you want some comparative warm up data read this

No, the coolant gauge should not jump to 90℃ but rise gradually with temperature over a ten minute period. This sounds to me like the temperature sensor output side for the dash gauge is failing while VCDS is reporting the other side for the ECU is working normally. With VCDS you can monitor both sides of the sensor outputs for comparison and then make a decision about sensor replacement. Please post the actual VCDS reports if possible if you do.

Andy

Last edited:
Could also be a dash issue with the gauge motor or connections. Sensor could be supplying the value but gauge not reacting.

Good Morning,

In future please state engine code when posting it saves everyone looking up what you have in 'About'. (Applies to everyone!).

The temperature engine outlet sensor is G62 but you would have known that if you had been using the in-house VCDS download add-in published recently, suggest you read the thread.

View attachment 108728

From what you describe with gradual warm up from cold reaching 102℃ sounds normal. If you want some comparative warm up data read this

No, the coolant gauge should not jump to 90℃ but rise gradually with temperature over a ten minute period. This sounds to me like the temperature sensor output side for the dash gauge is failing while VCDS is reporting the other side for the ECU is working normally. With VCDS you can monitor both sides of the sensor outputs for comparison and then make a decision about sensor replacement. Please post the actual VCDS reports if possible if you do.

Andy
Apologies, I knew I'd forgotten something. It's an FSI. Unfortunately I currently only have unregistered VCDS lite so don't have measuring blocks beyond group 25 so just using group 001 for basic temp

Good Morning,

View attachment 108728

Andy
Andy,
Many thanks for the tips. I did read the warm up and Add-in threads which helped. My first thought was a signal issue and checking connections is first port of call.
I have seen recommendations to only use genuine sensors (if I end up changing G62) but I have found an OE spec Febi one and I usually find Febi are very good quality. Thoughts?
Mick

Andy,
Many thanks for the tips. I did read the warm up and Add-in threads which helped. My first thought was a signal issue and checking connections is first port of call.
I have seen recommendations to only use genuine sensors (if I end up changing G62) but I have found an OE spec Febi one and I usually find Febi are very good quality. Thoughts?
Mick
Yes, sensors from Audi is the recommended way to go and Febi is a respected brand. I do not know who supplies Audi and from memory there is nothing on the sensors to indicate. Why not PM Tom at Crewe Audi on here and ask for a quote it would be good to know but it will boil down to cost versus risk, your call but I would buy from Audi.

Consider upgrading to registered Lite.

Andy

Yes, sensors from Audi is the recommended way to go and Febi is a respected brand. I do not know who supplies Audi and from memory there is nothing on the sensors to indicate. Why not PM Tom at Crewe Audi on here and ask for a quote it would be good to know but it will boil down to cost versus risk, your call but I would buy from Audi.

Consider upgrading to registered Lite.

Andy
I second Andy's recommendation, register your Lite, it could save you the $99 in parts very quickly.
I know I'm biased, but if you intend to run your FSI long-term, then you really should.
Mac.

If its the green one that had 2 separate circuits one supplies the ecu and therefore fueling the other the dash for your convenience. Would be wise to replace the sensor

Had a good look around. Found the G83, cleaned connections and got a DTC which i cleared, so that's ok. Same with the G265 thermostat one.
Now I can't find the G62 anywhere. Not top hose, Rad.
Can someone tell me where it is on an FSI?

Had a good look around. Found the G83, cleaned connections and got a DTC which i cleared, so that's ok. Same with the G265 thermostat one.
Now I can't find the G62 anywhere. Not top hose, Rad.
Can someone tell me where it is on an FSI?
G62 is "plugged in" the thermostat housing (sometimes called the coolant distributor) next to the engine outlet flow. The large pipe just below the green sensor is the the flow pipe to the radiator.
1685710960919.png

It is well buried. There is a description of removal in the workshop guide but Sarge's 'How To' is just as good.

Andy

G62 is "plugged in" the thermostat housing (sometimes called the coolant distributor) next to the engine outlet flow. The large pipe just below the green sensor is the the flow pipe to the radiator.
View attachment 108775

It is well buried. There is a description of removal in the workshop guide but Sarge's 'How To' is just as good.

Andy
Clearly couldn't see the wood for the trees! Cheers

Back