Corrosion on door?

Adam_A2

Hello all!
I noticed today on the edge of my cars drivers door what looks and feels like corrosion, but im not sure if it could be a scratch, although I don't know how you could scratch all the way down the edge. Its like the paint is bubbling or something. My car is a 2003 so if it is corrosion will audi do anything about it or not? I've taken some pictures, although the quality isnt amazing. I'd appreciate any comments / feedback.
Thanks in advance, Adam.

View attachment 2062

View attachment 2063

Are you sure that someone has'nt opened the car door out onto a brick wall or something
as i have done a few times , if i run my hand down the leading edge of the door it feels as though its corroded
but its just where the paint has chipped ....

I think Wooly's right. The pics looks like the doors been opened against a wall or a fence repeatedly. Maybe the previous owner had one of these new houses that have a super slim size driveway? Halfords do a cracking touch up set for £10 that has a glass fibre tool for rubbing any loose paint away and a very precise nib for intricate work. Alternatively, Grim Reepers advice is to use a cocktail stick. Not tried it but sounds like the same effect - just dont use a brush it will look awful unless you have surgeons steady hands!:)

To me looks like normal door edge chips, as the door will not rust, its easier to leave the chips as they are and touch the paint into them as they are, you will get a better finish as there's something to put the paint into, if you flat it down the paint just sits on the top. Tip for the day don't try filling to chip in one go build it up do it in little bits, i use a cocktail stick at work its a finer point

Cheers Phil

Thank you for your replies, you've put my mind at rest! But now im a bit unsure what to do about it. If I just leave it as is, will my door be ok? The aluminium wont go dodgy will it? You can only see the damage if you open the door and look for it anyway! And if I do touch the paint up, can you get a pain kit in the ebony black pearlescent colour?

Thanks again!

Hi Adam,

You will certainly be able to buy an exact colour match from a dealership and halfords may stock a touch up kit too.

As for painting the damaged area, I would advocate that you do so, as this will at least prevent moisture ingress and any future surface corrosion.

When we purchased my wife's A Class, we noticed after a weeks ownership that the previous owner had evidently left the front passenger door open and moved the car or had opened the door into a brick wall. The entire length was bare metal and rusty; in the same area as yours - right on the edge and only noticebale with the door open. I applied the necessary rust treatment, primer and topcoat using a model makers paint brush. This took a while, but the finish is superb and also gives piece of mind.

Cheers,

Darren

Thank you for your replies, you've put my mind at rest! But now im a bit unsure what to do about it. If I just leave it as is, will my door be ok? The aluminium wont go dodgy will it? You can only see the damage if you open the door and look for it anyway! And if I do touch the paint up, can you get a pain kit in the ebony black pearlescent colour?

Thanks again!

Yes as Darren posted go to Dealer or Halfords with paint code 4 digit code found in your service book ( car detail sticker) or it should be in the boot it will be 2 letters 1 number then 1 letter, or just tell them the colour but to be honest where it is a solid black will do you wouldn't notice ;)

Cheers Phil

I have the ebony black pearl touch up kit from halfords and its a really nice match. Highly recommended!

And happy Birthday Phil. You are officially older than me for a few weeks!!:D

Back