cracked windscreen

steve54

hello every one,
as per title just got a large crack on passenger side of my wind screen. the screen is the original by the looks of it,
does anybody have any advice getting a replacement audi screen fitted eg. part numbers ect. my code on the boot sticker
says 4GH. any help and advice would be wecome before i ring the insurance people.
never claimed for a original makers screen before

It's a bit a minefield and it really depends on the insurance company policy. Few years ago I had to replace the windscreen. I argued about getting a Genuine Audi and the insurer would only commit to an OEM part, which eventually translated into a FY windscreen, a very large Chinese supplier. The quality was not OEM as the surface geometry was slightly flat in one corner. Be ready to battle!

I had a replacement windscreen early on in my ownership of the Cobalt TDI that I sold recently. It was an FY part, it had the correct tint and the sunstrip across the top and I had not a moment's trouble with it after fitting.

I think a lot depends on the fitter - while he remained an unknown quantity before his arrival, I removed the wiper and scuttle myself (and therefore had to replace them myself too). But he totally understood about the OSS having to drain down the sides of the butyl bed that he laid for the new screen.

thanks a lot for your reply's, are all audi a2 windscreens the same, i wanted a part number to hit um with

I had a cracked windscreen in my A5 but I had had an awful experience with the local branch of a national windscreen company (name begins with an A) who failed on 3 attempts to fit the screen in my S2 properly, so I asked my Audi dealership in Cambridge who winced and said in no uncertain terms "DO NOT TAKE IT THERE!"

The trouble is, they explained, the insurance companies have the buying power and so have screwed the price down until the windscreen companies are barely making anything, so in general, they do not want to spend the time or put in the best glass - understandable and not their fault at all.

So, what the local Audi dealership do is call a mobile fitter in Essex who drives up to Cambridge to do all of their cars, all their customer cars and anyone else who cares enough to ask. They explained that I would end up paying around £300 i.e. much more than the windscreen excess on my policy (although I might be able to get the insurance company to cover the first £60, but that was dependant on my insurance company and my powers of persuasion) but they said it would be worth it - these guys know the cars and know their craft.

Anyway.....I called, I spoke to the owner who knew the screen spec off the top of his head whilst he was driving, so I committed. They came, they fitted, they dealt with the insurance company, I paid nowt, they did an ace job, I am a happy bunny!

Live near Cambridge/Essex etc.? Buy me a beer and I'll tell you their name ;)

Good luck

Cheers n beers
Simon

I had a cracked windscreen in my A5 but I had had an awful experience with the local branch of a national windscreen company (name begins with an A) who failed on 3 attempts to fit the screen in my S2 properly, so I asked my Audi dealership in Cambridge who winced and said in no uncertain terms "DO NOT TAKE IT THERE!"

The trouble is, they explained, the insurance companies have the buying power and so have screwed the price down until the windscreen companies are barely making anything, so in general, they do not want to spend the time or put in the best glass - understandable and not their fault at all.

So, what the local Audi dealership do is call a mobile fitter in Essex who drives up to Cambridge to do all of their cars, all their customer cars and anyone else who cares enough to ask. They explained that I would end up paying around £300 i.e. much more than the windscreen excess on my policy (although I might be able to get the insurance company to cover the first £60, but that was dependant on my insurance company and my powers of persuasion) but they said it would be worth it - these guys know the cars and know their craft.

Anyway.....I called, I spoke to the owner who knew the screen spec off the top of his head whilst he was driving, so I committed. They came, they fitted, they dealt with the insurance company, I paid nowt, they did an ace job, I am a happy bunny!

Live near Cambridge/Essex etc.? Buy me a beer and I'll tell you their name ;)

Good luck

Cheers n beers
Simon
How far into Essex ?
Haverhill ,
Saffron Walden,
Harlow?

North of Stanstead. I could tell you more, but then I would have to kill you...

...OK, OK, It's Elsenham....there I cracked (pun intended)

Cheers
Simon
Hi HPmuirt,
Thanks for sharing the information it’s always better to have a positive recommendation for jobs like these.
Thanks
Keith.

North of Stanstead. I could tell you more, but then I would have to kill you...

...OK, OK, It's Elsenham....there I cracked (pun intended)

Cheers
Simon
I used to live in the next village along to Elsenham, Henham. Lovely part of the Country. I have found through experience that the only insurance company who have OK'd genuine Audi glass are LV. They have sorted me out with a couple now.

It's a bit a minefield and it really depends on the insurance company policy. Few years ago I had to replace the windscreen. I argued about getting a Genuine Audi and the insurer would only commit to an OEM part, which eventually translated into a FY windscreen, a very large Chinese supplier. The quality was not OEM as the surface geometry was slightly flat in one corner. Be ready to battle!
I seem to remember a windscreen fitter on here saying that FY supplied the OEM glass anyway? I think it’s more important to get it fitted correctly. My first replacement had the top corners sticking up. The fitter told me it won’t sit flush. The next replacement was much better.

hi there,
just to close my post, my insurance has accepted the request for audi dealer part to be fitted. no bartering or fuss.
Hastings direct and national windscreens going to do the job. oh and tom at creweaudi let me know there's a weeks back order
our little a2 only deserve the best you know

Back