Crazy driveshaft noise!

datsundrew

A2OC Donor
I’ve had this noise now for months! It’s intermittent, and it’s a proper comedy noise. It first started back in the summer, it’s hasn’t got better or worse, it does it when cold, but not if it’s too cold. On A frosty morning it’ll be silent for a while and then start suddenly at about 20mph, and stops at about 35 mph, it never does it when it’s warm. Both drive shafts were new a year ago.
in typical car random fashion…. When I go to demonstrate the noise to someone else, it’s silent!
I have been telling my Friend Roverjim on here about it and he thought I was going crazy, then the other morning it did it so drove straight to his to show him….

I’ve had this noise now for months! It’s intermittent, and it’s a proper comedy noise. It first started back in the summer, it’s hasn’t got better or worse, it does it when cold, but not if it’s too cold. On A frosty morning it’ll be silent for a while and then start suddenly at about 20mph, and stops at about 35 mph, it never does it when it’s warm. Both drive shafts were new a year ago.
in typical car random fashion…. When I go to demonstrate the noise to someone else, it’s silent!
I have been telling my Friend Roverjim on here about it and he thought I was going crazy, then the other morning it did it so drove straight to his to show him….

You trapped a mouse or an hamster in there somewhere
Maybe it was living in the webasto but it’s too hot in there now and as moved out into a wheel bearing

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that only in reverse?

Sounds like a belt, rubber rather than metal. Or you fitted mini cooper straight cut gears

I had the same problem on one of my old A2's, and did exactly the same as you have, it drove me absolutely nuts, took it into my local indi for them to try and find the fault, he literally sprayed the driveshaft boot area liberally with some spray and it slowly got quieter, never to return, I have no idea exactly where he sprayed it as I was putting the kettle on whilst he did it, it was getting quieter when I returned to the ramp.

I would say definitely something rubbing in the knuckle somewhere though.

is it the cv boot over compressing to let the ribs rub on each other ?

That’s a good theory and when driving the suspension would never be so extended and therefore the cv boot not so compressed on one side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my inner cv joint did a similar noise , seemed like the j&r joint kit gaiter was a little longer so once in the correct position on the drive shaft (small grove) it was over compressed , So may be worth a look .

my inner cv joint did a similar noise , seemed like the j&r joint kit gaiter was a little longer so once in the correct position on the drive shaft (small grove) it was over compressed , So may be worth a look .
I’ll have a look at that as I’ve been concentrating on the outer as that’s where the noise appears to be coming from, but it could be travelling down the shaft.

Back