Crazy Temp

jmackgr

Hello,
My external temperature gauge is showing as low as minus 45 then climbs back slowly upto the normal outside temp. before falling gradually back down to -45 and then repeating the whole cycle again and again. It effects the a/c and fan speeds. Any suggestions gratefully received.
regards,
John.

Hi there, and welcome to the A2OC!

There's possibility that I'm completely wrong on this, and I'm sure that one of the regulars will confirm or deny this, however;

Temp sensor is at the front of the car about half way down grill (if I'm thinking about the correct thing...), you can't miss it (it's bolted onto the front grille)

You may want to have a poke around and see if it's covered in gunk or if there's a continuity issue in the wiring... if all else fails, new sensor..

Sounds like a silly question, but is your hazard warning light button lit at all times?

If not, then it could be a faulty fuse (38) or a wiring loom fault - I had this as a symptom a couple of years back before my power steering packed in after a small loom fire in the bulkhead.

Check it out asap.

If it's just the sensor, they are around £4 from a dealer.

Cheers,

Mike

Just out of interest, is the sensor roughly where I said it was or am I thinking about something completely different?

The ambient temperature sensor is acutally in the lower grille area - it's a little black plastic affair that is just about visible with the grille in place - just inboard of the nearside fog cover.

Cheers,

Mike

Fixed

Hello and thanks for the info. It seems to have fixed itself but if it goes wrong again at least I have the info to work with.:)
John

Back