Creaking / Knocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GP

When my A2 has been sat in traffic for a while (which it does a lot) it develops a creaking / knocking noise when letting out the clutch and pulling off in first gear, and under the same circumstances at low speed over pot holes and undulations.

My Audi dealer at first believed it to be the front wheel bearings which were replaced but this didn't cure it. They have since said it's coming from between the dash and bulkhead and the dash would need to come out, and then that it's the drive shafts. I think they're clueless !

Has anybody else experienced this ?, if so and they know the cause could they please advise so as I may enlighten my dealer.

Regards

Gary
2002 1.4 Tdi SE Open Sky

Mine has the same problem - but only when I seem to get stuck in long jams and occasionally get it when pulling off! Earlier this year I had to have th dash removed due to a slight tapping noise behind the dash - the wiring loom was at fault. This was diagnosed before the dash came out so it could be a known fault. Like you ad your garage I'm clueless as to what the other noise is - could be the 'inlet' valve people have talked about. I've yet to take mine in to get the drive shafts glued - however I do not believe this is the noise we are hearing in traffic!

Regards - The Foghorn

2001 TDI SE Atantic Blue, Open Sky, 16" 6 spoke alloys, Satellite cloth & space box system. The "Dogs Twitchers"

Sounds similar to the problem our car had - but I thought this only affected early A2s. In our case the noise was noticeable as you took up and lifted off drive in first gear.

While it was being serviced the service manager took it out and confirmed the noise was there. Ours seemed to be get worse when it was dry in the summer, and the recent wet weather seemed to 'ease' it.

The dealer has replaced the anti-roll bar bushes and bonded in the driveshafts. No noise so far but its still damp.

Dave

1.6SE + 1.4SE(for sale)

For me the knocking is at the rear caused by the hatch not secured correctly. You can even get it to vibrate and rattle on take-off.

Just this week in the cold weather I've noticed that for the first few miles of cold driving there is a knock coming from the front when you hit a bump. Wondering if it's a heat shield or something which expands with heat and stops knocking.

Steve - 2003 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior

Had a similar problem on my S3 - that was a heat shield which touched the exhaust under certain circumstances. Worth a look.

MartinW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back