Creaking Open Sky

Philip

Been using my A2 again recently - I replaced the Open Sky some time ago with a unit rebuilt by A2 Cars, which still works as it should, but has developed an insanely annoying constant creak roughly above the passenger front window. It sounds like it’s rubbing either against itself or the car body, but after lubricating every possible joint and gap I can access, it’s still there. It’s slightly worse closed than open, and doesn’t seem to have any relation to the actual opening mechanism.

I expect the answer might be to remove and refit the whole thing again, but has anyone fixed a similar problem without dismantling?

Don’t really want to take it out again unless I really have to, suppose I’ll have to take the headliner out to have a look.

@Philip where are you based? There are three M6 nuts that hold down the passenger front corner and one T25 that can be seen with the roof fully open. It may just be the case that they need tightening. The problem is that the M6 nuts are all above the head lining!
The whole roof sits on a foam seal, its not usual, but I guess that could make a noise if allowed to move.

Ian

Thanks Ian (I’m in town - think you collected a bumper from me) - I’ll take the headlining out, although it sounds like a very localised creak, rather than the unit moving on its mountings. Foam etc was obviously renewed when I swapped the roof a few years ago.

Thanks Ian (I’m in town - think you collected a bumper from me) - I’ll take the headlining out, although it sounds like a very localised creak, rather than the unit moving on its mountings. Foam etc was obviously renewed when I swapped the roof a few years ago.
Ah yes, I remember. You had that beast in your garage!

Well there is nothing that historically causes a creak, so maybe just a case of dropping the roof lining and checking everything. Give me a shout if you need any help.

Ian

Lubricated every (non-opening-related) join and point of contact with spray silicone, and the creaking finally stopped - for a day…

Back