cruise control

sikhmans

Hi people!

Thinking of fitting cruise control from skipton01, just wanted to ask if anyone has a before and after shots of the job please.

Many thanks

Dev :D

Hi Sikhmans,

The before and after shots will be very dull!!!!! ;) The only visible difference is an additional 2 buttons on the indicator stalk. There is no additional stalk as on other Audis and there are no visible wires (what would you expect, this is top notch skipton mod!). I found this picture on the web, the A2 stalk is a very close in design to the one on the right (old style), though these are both VW stalks.

Hope this helps,

David

Last edited:
stalk issue

cheers mate!

Only thing is my stalk doesn't have a trip button, will skipton change my stalk?

Dev, I think you're getting mixed up a little - the trip functions are taken care of by the right hand (wiper) stalk and the cruise functions are dealt with on the other stalk - this is the one I change.

The photo posted by David of the old and new stalks is useful but misleading!

The 'old' style stalk is actually only ever used by Audi - it is an 8L part, but is still made and is current.

The new style one is a 1J part and is commonly used in Golfs and Jettas. The reason why Audi use the 8L part is that it has a single button on the end, as opposed to the rocker switch of the new style one. This also avoids confusion for those with trip computers, as this stalk uses a rocker switch too!

Safe to say Dev, you'll not notice the difference - it's all as per factory.

Cheers,

Mike

On a recent trip to England Mike met me at the hotel and fitted cruise control in under an hour. It proved invaluable on all those lovely average speed cams that the English are so fond of.
Mike reckoned that I was around his 100th cruise control install so I doubt very much if you'll find anybody more experienced to install one in an A2.
There is of course the added advantage of picking his brains on other A2 related things.

Just to echo previous comments on the install; Mike is a decent, freindly chap and it was a pleasure to meet him and to put a face to a name after almost three years.

If I didn't have 270 miles to drive and 3 hours on a ferry I'd be a regular customer of Mike's.

Pay the money and get it done!

Cheers

glock17

Mike fitted mine over a year ago, one of the best spent money on the car, you will be glad you've got it fitted, it looks like factory because it is just about, genuine stalk the only thing that isnt is the wiring as Mike makes that himself (but you don't see that bit)

Go on do it

Cheers Phil

You make it sound like the loom is a bit scabby Phil - it's just that the cruise loom is not available as a part, so I have no choice but to make one!

Wire sizes are all to correct spec, as are the connectors (which are always soldered, as opposed to press fitted, so are actually better than factory!).

Let's put it this way - I've only ever had one warranty failure, and that was due to a faulty stalk from Audi, which only materialised about 18 months in!

Cheers,

Mike

No No, just saying that from the cabin all will look factory;), and yes your work is second to none, it was all taped up and thread through the dash and into place like it was supose to ;), i don't think its in you to do anything scabby

Phil

How much is this at the moment?
I might be bringing my car over manchester way (need FSD,cambelt and wheelbearing doing at Awsome), so might pop in with tea and cake to have a natter while you fit cruise.

Skipton may correct me, but I think I might of been his 1st paid cruise [after his own] many many years ago.

All I would say is get it done, however much it is these days it's well worth the money.

I've just had it fitted to my motorhome and it cost £350!
Shame Skipton couldn't have done this!!

bba

May I also enquire about the cost of this service Sir Skipton? mines a 1.4 petrol if that makes any difference.

Cheers,

VonB

VonB - PM sent!

Cheers,

Mike

PS I send PMs as I don't want to use the site for self advertisement, so if anyone else wants to enquire, please contact me off-forum.

You know, until you pointed it out, I'd not noticed the extreme politeness of VonB!

Sir Skipton indeed!

Cheers anyway

Mike

Mike are you still installing Cruise Controls?

Hello Mike,

Are you still installing cruise controls. I am looking for one in my Audi A2 1.2 TDi 2003. Jacob Wietsma

I had mine fitted by Mike, he did a really good job, you would never know it wasn't standard.

He is a top bloke and I would recommend him to anyone, he was very understanding with my funny ways!:D

Thanks Heidi - you think you've got funny ways? You're not a patch on some of the members I've met and are VERY normal in comparison!

Cheers,

Mike

Back