Cruise Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricardo

A2OC Donor
Hi

I have FINALLY got a Cruise Control stalk for my 2002 A2 1.4 TDi. The car is booked in to my local Audi dealer for a bit of work next week and I want to fit the stalk before then so they can enable it.

It looks pretty simple but can anybody talk me through the removal and re-fit of the steering wheel? Airbags etc...

Cheers

Ricardo

Now I'm confused...

1) OK, I got the steering wheel off WITHOUT exploding and after buying an M12 Star bit...BUT...HOW DO YOU GET THE LOWER COWEL OFF the steering column? Undid 5 screws and a couple of clicks but would it budge.

2) Also, more worryingly, there does not appear to be a "cruise connector" in the column anywhere - do I need a loom of some description, and where does it go to?

(I wont be holding my breath for the answers...)

Ricardo

Okay, I haven't responded so far because I'm not very sure about how to proceed.
Elsewhere I've read about people that seem to take the wheel off 'just like that', but without telling exactly why...
And then there is the wiring loom issue. As far as I've seen, you indeed need some wiring to a connector on the board computer (below your feet, or in case of RHD cars, below the passenger's feet, I guess). On the German ebay site there seem to be offers of the stalk WITH the loom. So I guess they can be found. From the dealer? I don't know...
Finally, the loom needs to be connected to the control unit. Some models have the connector in place, others need to soldering, and yet again other models (petrol?) have no way of connecting it.

With all that contradictory and different information I decided to leave it for now. Unfortunately you decided to get the stalk and just try it ;)
I'll try and rescreen the info that I read before, but I'm not holding my breath either for starting to understand it all. If I do, I'll post here again.

And maybe your dealer (preferably a technician there) can offer you some tips too. After all, you will still need a dealer to use the VGA-COM software to make the CC functions available...

Good luck!

--
Edo
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp)

Thx for that...what I know so far...

1) Make sure front wheels are straight
2) Disconnect -ve of battery LEAVE BOOT OPEN!
3) Remove 2 screws from back of steering wheel (Torx)
4) Pull steering wheel centre out & up
5) Squeeze electrical connector and pull out of steering column - be careful lead is still attached to steering wheel. Lift airbag/steering wheel up and rest on the top of the steering wheels 'T'.
6) Using an M12 Splined bit undo the steering wheel centre bolt
7) Remove wheel placing flat with airbag on top
8) Remove 2 screws from under steering column (small pozi)
9) Remove 1 screw from side of wheel clamp (underneath - pain to find)
10) Pull column upper coal up and admire the switch gear ;)
11) Remove lower cowling - NO IDEA HOW, THATS AS FAR AS I GOT...

<<12) Fit new stem>>
<<13) Fit wiring from steering column to under footwell>>

When re-fitting turn the ignition on BEFORE re-connecting the battery terminal, I think this stops fault codes appearing re-the airbag. Also, after doing this my central locking remotes stopped working. But started working again if I opened the doors mechanically then started the ignition!.

I would say to do it you are correct - in general you need a small loom going from the column to under the cars floor where there SHOULD be a connector.

I would LOVE to know how that lower cowling comes off...

Now contemplating giving the car, stalk and cash to AmD...:)

Ricardo

Definately give the cash to AmD! I'm not on commission but they did mine and I was blissfully ignorant of what they had to do to get it to work. The systems are so prone to ****ing up I'd far rather be able to throw it back at someone if something didn't work and say 'fix it!'. Every time you take it apart it's more likely to rattle, break or otherwise stop working. Think about it, they've practiced on mine (and others) so yours'll be a walk in the park!

AmD may be the way to go, but I've found a UK Audi dealer willing to give it a go...watch this space ;)

Ricardo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back