Dead A2!

Nye

Help! My 1.6FSI just died. The battery warning light came on and after a while the steering pump warning light came on. Then the car just shut down, fortunately within a mile of my house. Has the drive belt come loose? Is it easy to remedy with a socket set and a crowbar?

Sounds very much like an alternator issue to me. I presume you had headlights on and such? Did the engine just die? No smoke/noises/juddering?

First step would be to do a diagnostic scan, but if that's not possible, check for leaks within the engine bay and under the car, then perhaps try a jump from another car. If it runs, charge up the battery, then check alternator output voltage.

Reactions: Nye
Nope, no smoke noises or juddering. Just warning lights. It was moving along alright (with no power steering) then as I slowed for a zebra crossing it switched itself off

According to the A2 Technology publication:

"Instead of the vane pump that is traditionally used on conventional power steering systems, this system uses a gear pump that is integrated into the motor/pump unit. The gear pump is not driven directly by the vehicle’s combustion engine; instead it is operated by an electric motor integrated into the motor/pump unit.
The electric motor only operates when the ignition is switched on and the engine is running.
Signals for steering angle speed, road speed and engine speed are sent to the control unit. This control unit regulates the speed of the electric motor and the gear pump, and thereby regulates the delivery rate or the volumetric flow rate of the hydraulic fluid.

Anti-pumping device
The electrohydraulic power steering has an anti-pumping device that is actuated in the event of faults, a failure or a crash. The anti-pumping function can be cancelled by switching off the ignition and restarting the engine. If necessary, wait approx. 15 mins to allow the motor/pump unit to cool down after overheating. If, after waiting for this period, the anti-pumping function cannot be cancelled by starting the engine, there is a fault in the vehicle electrical system or the motor/pump unit is faulty. In this case carry out a self-diagnosis and if necessary renew the motor/pump unit."

Hi its also very possible the auxiliary belt has come off or broken. It can be often neglected at service points-the 1.6 doesn't have the clutch pulley on the alternator that the diesel variants have that can fail. Pop the bonnet and see if you can ornate see the aux belt. Good luck mike

Yes its tight getting it out -worth noting that if your car has air conditioning or not because a non air-conditioned 1.6 fsi has a different type alternator and is quite hard to get a replacement. The mounting is different-when my alternator failed it was quite bizarre as i drove it home when finishing for work for christmas (no warning lights and drove fine) car was not used over christmas until 3rd jan to take my parents home. when the car started the battery light stayed on, i chose to carry on but with only a few mins up the road i was seeing the car was struggling and head back home. My first thought the battery had failed (original Varta) but no the alternator had failed but it took me several phone calls to find a replacement with audi even saying 10 days as on back order and £380. I then found a company that offered a rebuild service or a china built new one for £104. So china one it was and laying them next to each other they looked identical.

Alternator it was. A replacement from the star that is A2Steve, who dug one out as swiftly as he could, has cured the problem at a fraction of the Audi price. Once the alternator is detached it's a real 3D puzzle to extract it from above but I made it easier by removing the plastic cambelt cover, front air intake pipe and a little plastic gutter.

Back