Death Pipe hanging on for grim death!

Urgent Answers please.

I am replacing the death pipe and thermostat housing on my 1.6FSI.

I have everything off the car, as per manual, and have even got the thermostat housing off , but I simply cannot get the Death Pipe to come out of the engine block at the Water Pump end.

I can't see anything to suggest there is a retaining clip or clamp at that end, but pull, twist and lever as much as I like, I just can't get it to pop out.

Has anybody done this job and either knows something I don't, or can assure me it is just a being held in by pure bloody stubbornness?

I am actually struggling to do this job right now, so your speedy answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Brendan

Urgent Answers please.

I have everything off the car, as per manual, and have even got the thermostat housing off , but I simply cannot get the Death Pipe to come out of the engine block at the Water Pump end.

I can't see anything to suggest there is a retaining clip or clamp at that end, but pull, twist and lever as much as I like, I just can't get it to pop out.

Has anybody done this job and either knows something I don't, or can assure me it is just a being held in by pure bloody stubbornness?

I am actually struggling to do this job right now, so your speedy answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Brendan
Just check the wire from the knock sensor is not held by the clip on the pipe as this will stop the pipe pulling out.

Andy

Urgent Answers please.

Thanks in advance

Brendan
I'm afraid I don't know the 1.6 well at all.

however - is the death pipe in question on this diagram? Reason for asking is that clips are shown, so if there should be one, it would hopefully be visible and could answer your question.

I'm afraid I don't know the 1.6 well at all.

however - is the death pipe in question on this diagram? Reason for asking is that clips are shown, so if there should be one, it would hopefully be visible and could answer your question.

The Death Pipe is item 30, and it does have a clip at the Thermostat Housing end (32), which I have managed to remove and separated it from the Thermostat housing which is now off the car. There doesn't appear to be anything except an O-Ring into the back of the Water Pump, but I am just struggling to pull it out. Looks like just stubbornness holding it in, so I might have to get a bit more Neanderthal with it! Now where that hammer! Thanks for the speedy reply.

Success!

Couldn't budge it by hand, so ended up grabbing the end nearest the thermostat with a pair of mole grips, I then passed a piece of thin rope through the grips and then a couple of times round a bit of wood which I then levered against the top of the gearbox to pull the pipe straight across the engine bay. Even with that extra leverage, it still took a hell of a lot of effort to get it free, but it is off, and the new one has been fitted with the replacement Thermostat Housing.

Thanks for the speedy replies, as they gave me the confidence to be a bit more brutal than I was at first.

Hopefully it's all fitted OK, and there'll be no leaks, but that's a job for tomorrow.

Thanks again....I love this forum!

Had the exact same problem with mine (albeit at the mechanics). It seems they just love to get stuck in there, but as with you it came off eventually.

Back