Despicable road rage incident.. what would you do?

sailesh

A2OC Donor
So, on Monday morning I turned off J14 of the M1 and looked forward to the final sequence of roundabouts leading to the office.. what happened next beggars belief, and I just wondered what anyone else would do or advise in the same situation..

Turning right off the inside of the first roundabout (by the Jaguar garage, if you know it), I accelerated to catch up with the traffic 50 yards ahead; in the meantime a black Scirocco just ahead in the left lane of the dual carriageway started indicating to move out, so as there was plenty of distance to the next roundabout and nobody behind, I chose to avoid being held up by another car so accelerated past the VW quickly and let it pull out behind me.

Only 100 yards later we both stopped at the next roundabout, the black Scirocco pulled up next to me with an irate red-faced potato-headed driver seemingly spitting fumes onto his window in my direction.

Bad move #1: I opened my passenger window to let him air his views.. essentially he wanted to furiously inform me that it wasn't very courteous of me to not let him out, to which I responded that indicators are not an automatic signal for passing drivers to let him change lanes regardless, and he then seemed to think he was justified because he was 'indicating for ages', which was certainly not the case; neither had I cut him up or otherwise prevented him moving into his intended lane.

Point made, I closed the window and accelerated away up to an indicated 75 mph over the next section of carriageway. Meanwhile, the slower accelerating Scirocco, clearly having to travel faster than me, caught up with me on the inside lane, windows still shut, with the driver only centimetres from me and still spitting fumes in my direction whilst both travelling at 75 mph!! I ignored making eye contact, but bore in mind that this was clearly not safe behaviour on any public roads, but it would have been unsafe to brake or accelerate or respond to the other driver.

At the next roundabout we both had to stop, and still the driver (with windows shut) continued to 'communicate' his rage or frustration in my direction, which I ignored whilst attempting to drive 'as normal'.

This continued over a sequence of the next two or three roundabouts, including a section of dual carriageway where even though one of the lanes was closed, the VW driver still intentionally drove alongside me until the very last moment where he was forced to pull in behind me due to the road cones. At all points I avoided eye contact as I wanted to avoid something stupid and dangerous happening to me or other road users.

Eventually, after the third roundabout, he decided to stop chasing me and turned off in another direction as I watched in the mirror.

It was only at that point that I realised I didn't have his numberplate (Bad move #2), or any photos, and that I was in-fact extremely disturbed that somebody could display such despicable and dangerous behaviour on a public road, endangering another driver, simply because they couldn't change lanes at exactly the moment they wanted to.

I've since looked at what my options could have been, and it seems that the police take a dim view if I was to have filmed the driver - I recently filmed a dangerous tailgating Megabus driver on the M4, sent it the met police's 'roadsafe' team, and they told me that because I was driving and filming, they would have prosecuted me if they had my address! The alternative would be to install car cameras, but again, these imply a victim mentality to me, do not film to the sides of the car, which was the danger in this situation. Perhaps the best advice is to not react and to ignore the other driver?

Thanks for reading, and sorry for an atypical negative post - I hope your responses will help me feel more positive about the 99.999999 percent of driving experiences out there!

Last edited:
The best way of dealing with these people is to completely ignore them,let them pass,pull in behind them,slow down and let them vanish into the distance.
That way when they have the inevitable accident you will be nowhere near.
Any other action will only exacerbate the situation and if the police get involved probable prosecution for both of you.

Dashcam.

You're not filming, it is, and it's automatic (or it should be).

Seriously, consider it. I know I am, for both ends of teh car, because there are way too many idiots out there who tailgate (lights visible below the spoiler at around 60mph)... it's not about victim, it's about making others aware of the implications of their actions.
Besides, the footage is legally accepted / acceptable in at least some countries. And the "slow down", "go back where you've just come from" concept is really not a bad one.

(interestingly enough, I note that using a camera while driving per se isn't an offence, just allegedly that you're no longer in control...)

- Bret

I've just driven in rush hour traffic for the first time in ages and couldn't believe the number of absolute spanners pulling dangerous, selfish maneuvers just to get home a few seconds faster...
Back on the push bike tomorrow...faster and more relaxing! (maybe not on the M1 though... :) )
As above - stay well clear, and be content that you're in a happy place and they clearly aren't.

Thanks folks, I feel less shaken and much better hearing your thoughts. In some 'less developed' countries where road safety is bad (e.g. Qatar) and family and community values are strong, the billboards have a picture of a crash test dummy reminding drivers that the dummy doesn't have a family (or friends) to go home to..

Maybe it's the car I'm driving? A sporty black MINI with yellow mirror covers? Now if I'd been driving a pink Nissan Micra CC..

I actually spent three months in Houston last year and it's interesting how much more polite the drivers were over there; people drove fast, they tailgated but not aggressively, and I never saw anybody get flashed or honked at.

This is what you do. To quote Madgascar.
[video=youtube;f_B23QGCEmA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_B23QGCEmA[/video]

Sorry to read about this. There have been some horrific ( and fatal) road rage incidents hasn't there?
I think the car you drive, and your driving style has impact on this type of event. I've been on the receiving end of a few low level road rage style incidents, and my good lady is swift to remind me that my own behaviour whilst not justifying what others have done, can also lend itself to folk losing the rag and I need to accept that. ( She's usually right!)

Couple of examples:

On a short link road ( about a mile or so) between 2 roundabouts, I was driving the A2 and 'exercised' the remapped wee beastie to overtake a 4x4 that was in lane 1 then I safely pulled back in to continue towards my exit on the roundabout. I can only conclude that the fella in the jeep was cheesed off that this wee Audi drove past him and pulled back in front, as he proceeded to accelerate, pull alongside me and wildly gestiticulate that I was the type of person who enjoyed shuffling cards. ( at least that's what I think his hand actions meant:rolleyes:)

Another time in the Q5 I was driving up a dual carriageway and was preparing to pull into lane 2 anticipating slower moving traffic and a truck which was ahead. I was travelling at around the indicated speed limit for the road on cruise control. On checking the mirror, I noted a Mercedes estate in the middle distance which was gaining ground quite rapidly in lane 2, but I decided I had plenty time, so proceeded with my manoeuvre, expecting him to allow me to proceed - but not to be. Instead he accelerated hard on seeing my signal and continued till he was dangerously close to my bumper, again, gesticulating wildly, and I think showing me how well manicured his middle fingernail was!! :D

That last one was down to me expecting a bit of road craft and courtesy which wasn't offered and I think that's a common factor with road rage. Folk behave in a way they wouldn't dream of face to face. I mean would you see a family walking towards a shop door, then run to get ahead of them, pushing them out the way so you could access the destination before them. it just wouldn't happen ( well, unless there was a good sale on!)

Increased traffic volumes and the stress of day to day life in modern times must play a part, but we're all just trying to get somewhere aren't we! As I started though, I think a sporty car driven in a spirited manner can light the touch paper with other folks very easily. ( Or road hogs in Audi Q5's :eek:)

We do seem to be so much angtier than other nations when we get in our cars.....

Blow a kiss. Make love not war. :p

Enjoy the nice interior of our A2's and relax. Try not to let others bother us!
Locally here there is a trend for people to pull straight from the onramp to lane 2 and then accelerate. This is so unnecessary and really irritates me and I have had to learn to relax.
Another local custom here is to emergency brake then indicate and turn...
After a while you get used to what people do and your expectations and tolerance adjusts!

Just try to enjoy the road!

John

I had someone pull out of me on a roundabout a while back. When I beeped, he reversed on the roundabout and gave chase. My car was luckily faster than his so I lost him. But i'd ignore him. I'd also fit a cam in your car - i have seen many accidents and caught many bad driving since fitting one to my car.

Back