Detailed my A2

manhattan$

Past Member
I thought i would have a crack at getting my A2's paint work back to the day it rolled out of the factory.
The car was purchased from Reading Audi, and judging by the paintwork it looks like they washed it with a dirty bucket and a gritty sponge. I cant believe dealers use incorrect washing techniques, especially on cars like Q7's and RS4'S worth between 40-60k

Anyway, i started by using my karcher powerwasher with autobrite foam lance filled with a mix of chemical guys citrus wash n gloss shampoo and autobrites super snow foam. The foam that that is produced by the lance and SSF is incredible! It looks like a sheet of snow covering the whole car!

After leaving the SSF for around 5 minutes to soak and delodge any grit, i then used the standard karcher and lance to remove the remaining suds.

Next up was a hand wash using the two bucket technique and a shmitt wash mitt which come highly recomended. The shmitt is made from a special fine foam that holds tons of water and suds and has a grooved surface that catches dirt but does not scratch the paint like sponges do. The two bucket technique is used to protect your paint from dirt and grit picked up by the wash mitt. One bucket was filled with warm water and chemical guys citrus wash n gloss, and the other bucket was filled with only warm water as a rinse bucket for the shmitt to remove any grit picked up from washing. I then used some sonus fine green detailing clay with lubricant that removes contamanents road tar and industrial fallout stuck to the paintwork, and makes the paint feel like glass, great stuff!

After this i gave the car another quick blast with the karcher then dried the body with a sonus drying towel.
I then used some paintwork cleanser and a sonus buffing cloth to remove any previous wax that the dealer may or may not have put on.

Now onto the paintwork correction.
Using the porter cable professional machine polisher and various sonus polishing pads i got to work. I used menzerna intensive polish which has quite a bit of bite and a sonus sfx polishing pad i proceeded to remove the fine swirls and paint defects. Working in 2ft square boxes at a time to make sure that the polish gets broken down properly then checking the finish with a microfibre after a few passes. The porter cable polisher is a great piece of kit, but expect to spend around 10 hours to do a full detail on your A2. By hand you are talking a full week!
Next up was clearkote vanilla moose hand glaze which was applied then buffed. This stuff cleanses the paint and also fills any remaining fine marks to the clearcoat on the paintwork. After this is used some Autoglym EGP which was left to haze for around 30 minutes then buffed off. Last up was to wax the car. I used victoria concours wax which is a great polish, expensive but worth every penny. The paintwork now looks like liquid silver and the blue silver and red flake in the Akoya paint has come alive!
The photos dont really show how glossy and reflective the paint now is, due to the sun being quite low and the car in a difficult position to take photos.

Anyway i hope this helps a few of you too keep your A2's in tiptop condition!
The paintwork correction only needs performing once a year, but if you dont want to goto the expense of buying the machine polisher etc, then just get out there and buy some decent detailing products!

IMG_0031.JPG

A2reflection.JPG

IMG_0028.JPG

IMG_0026.JPG

Last edited:
Hahaaha, Harry Enfield rocks! :D

Another pic, taken (in the shade) after paintwork correction, glaze,EGP, and wax. It just needs another coat of wax tomorrow when the first coat hardens.

IMG_0027.JPG

I will try and take some decent car pictures when the suns out!

get a life springs to mind manhattan$ looks good but I would not have the time or the desire to spend so much time cleaning my car

crb1011 said:
get a life springs to mind manhattan$ looks good but I would not have the time or the desire to spend so much time cleaning my car
I can't agree with your sentiments, although I can appreciate the not having time bit.

Ideally, I'd love to have Tank looking as spic and span as this, and one day, it'll happen. Whether I do it, or have someone do it for me is another matter though!

Cheers and well done,

Mike

crb1011 said:
This was only done to correct some swirl marks and minor scratches on the car! Dont worry, im not that sad to do this every time i clean the car hahaha...... This is a one off. A quick wash with the power washer is all thats needed once a month ;)

Remember your car is probably the second most expensive thing that you own, and taking care of your car helps the resale or trade-in value!

Last edited:
Cheers Ian,
Your A2 always looks spotless in your photos :)

I think it was Autoexpress that said the A2 could become a future classic, so best look after your A2 guys!

Hi Manhattan$

How much do you charge for this service me and mike can call over for a cup of tea and a polish !!

very good job now it will go even faster as it slips through the air.

Cheers
Robin

super polishing

manhattan$
well done super job
but can you tell us where we can buy all the gear is it your usual halfords stuff up high on the back shelf or is your seedy downtown car valeters shop?
Well done
ill give it a go on my akoya a4
Paulc

robin said:
Hi Manhattan$

How much do you charge for this service me and mike can call over for a cup of tea and a polish !!

very good job now it will go even faster as it slips through the air.

Cheers
Robin

Hi Robin,
I could possibly do this for anyone interested who does not have the time to try it themselves. I know pro detailers would charge around £300 for this sort of job :eek:

So i purchased the kit and done it myself!

Havank said:
Excellent work, but like said earlier on, you need to have the time for doing it :rolleyes:
Havank,
The whole car does not need to be done all at once. A panel at a time is fine if you are stuck for time.

pc759 said:
manhattan$
well done super job
but can you tell us where we can buy all the gear is it your usual halfords stuff up high on the back shelf or is your seedy downtown car valeters shop?
Well done
ill give it a go on my akoya a4
Paulc

Hi Paulc,

I can highly recomend tim at www.cleanyourcar.co.uk

The service he provides is outstanding, very quick delivery and well packed items.
The porter cable polisher was imported from www.autopia-carcare.com in the US as they are 110v only and need a 110v transformer from the likes of screwfix to run it.

Regards,
Paul. :)

I used to own an S2000 :)

Was well into detailing that. Used to be pretty keen on the Zaino Bros polishes.

1.jpg

Superb motor with a great community. Still own the reg, that may go on the A2!

How Do You Get Oil Based Paint Off A Bonnet ? Some Decorator
Shook Out His Brush Over My Car Just After I Got It - About 4-5
Years Ago. Haven't Dared Try Anything !

Back