Diagnostic

My A2 2001 1.4 tdi has started to cut out when running in the never ending traffic jam. temp does only climb to the 12 o clock position and no coolant loss.
It will restart reluctantly after 5 mins .

It has 160000 miles on it and had a recent service .
It also has had a diagnostic check run and only found a beginning turbo problem .
Any ideas?

My A2 2001 1.4 tdi has started to cut out when running in the never ending traffic jam. temp does only climb to the 12 o clock position and no coolant loss.
It will restart reluctantly after 5 mins .

It has 160000 miles on it and had a recent service .
It also has had a diagnostic check run and only found a beginning turbo problem .
Any ideas?

The "12 o'clock" position is 90 degrees C, so that seems fine.
You say that a diagnostic check was indicating the start of a turbo problem, please can you be more specific, this could easily be the cause depending on the error code

Are there any warning lights on the dash when this happens?

There are many potential causes so we would need a little more info please?

Thanks
Steve B

My money is on a crank shaft sensor failing--these usually start to cut the engine when it gets hot and only restarts after cooling down a bit. Hope this helps mike

No warning lights , slight rough running when in prolonged traffic then a while then later will stall and not restart till it's cooled off?

Turbo was beginning to leak a bit but !!!!!!

No warning lights , slight rough running when in prolonged traffic then a while then later will stall and not restart till it's cooled off?

Turbo was beginning to leak a bit but !!!!!!

Was it a full VCDS readout with codes?

Steve B

Back