Diesel fuel set yp

Clackers

Wales
Hi folks, what is the part number/item called that sits between the fuel tank and diesel cooler radiator? It has an electrical connector running to it...wish I'd taken a photo whilst I was there!!!

do you mean the pump for the Webasto? That is about 4 inches behind the diesel cooler, held by a bracket onto the rear face of the floorpan turnup into the fuel tank area. If so, that is part 6 on the following diagram -

This is exactly the part I need...would a broken pipe cause my TDI not to start?? Both ends are snapped off, but it appears that the end after this part has been a fresh snap, the rear end looks like it's been snapped for a long time...

..would a broken pipe cause my TDI not to start??

I have no definitive idea on this question - but I wonder if a pipe here being snapped off could give a similar symptom as one experiences when the diesel/vacuum tandem pump goes bad - ie when the pump seals have gone, you have to crank and crank before enough head of fuel is in a position to be delivered to the injectors. If the pipe down by the tank has snapped off altogether, could this be rendering your pump ineffective completely even if it is itself working fine - ie the pump is able to pull air through the path of least resistance as there will be less effort required to pull a pipe-full of air than the same volume of diesel? Does this concept match your experience?

This does sound possible, I've managed to draw fuel through to the pump using a vacuum pump, but there seems to be air in it still, I am yet to check the filter though, having changed the tandem pump this morning(as a guess), I will change the filter on Monday and check all feeds there...I noticed the puddle of diesel under the os rear wheel, and that's when I noticed the snapped pipes....it would seem logical that path of least resistance could case this problem. Battery is on charge till monday, so hopefully filter change and re prime will sort the problem...wish me luck!!! Any other advice please feel free to comment!!

If it is the fuel hoses that have snapped, can you screw a small diameter bolt into the ends to plug them up and allow the pump to generate a stable vacuum on the fuel? The reason I know about that part of the car at all was that my fuel cooler was leaking last autumn so that needed to be replaced on a ramp at our local mechanic's place so I got a good look at the bits and bobs under there (and then was investigating the pump when the Webasto initially wasn't working).

I've connected both pipes together for now until the replacement arrives on Tuesday, then see what happens...if nothing else it should get the webasto back up and running!!!

Back