Diesel injectors for ATL engine

Rob9521

Good Afternoon Gents,
This is probably my final port of call in an attempt to fix my 2004 A2 1.4TDi. It's been problematic in the cold weather since I got it a few years ago and after this recent spell it gave up the ghost. A raft of problems to do with fuel pump and pressure in the head & also injector seals were eventually fixed, however I'm struggling with the next bit. My Engine type is ATL rather than AMF and this means that the Diesel injectors I'm looking for are a very rare commodity. They are Siemens rather that Bosch and my enquiries over the past week have all ended in "Dealership only part". Which equals - very expensive. Anyone any thoughts or ideas before it gets part exchanged?

I'd second the injector wiring harness as the first suspect -substantially cheaper to replace than an injector too

Guys, thanks for your advice. I'll get onto your suggestions right away and let you know how I get on.
Regards.
Rob

Unsuccessful

Unfortunately the wiring harness was one of the first things they tried and it's fine. Ta for the address you gave me spike, unfortunately they were unable to help. They said that Siemens havn't even released a test kit? for the injectors so it's unlikely anyone will be able to help. I've contacted Siemens and asked them why this is the case but I won't hold my breath. Looks like it's adios for my A2, can't keep forking out hundreds of pounds each year.
Thanks for your assistance.

Injectors are just shy of £500 each from Audi and that's at retail, so I bet you'll be able to get them from elsewhere (as they're not specific to Audi) for half this price, if not less (I know the discount matrix for this part).

Is it really worth getting rid of one of the best diesel cars not on sale at the moment for this, or are there other issues too?

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks Spike, I've emailed them the details, fingers crossed. Skipton01 - Would rather keep it! I think its a smashing wee car but over the past 3 years i've spent several hundred pounds on it & it's not money I can keep forking out. The issue with the injectors has left the car with very little power on accelleration, especially when cold, it can barely get away from a junction. It gets a bit better when the engine heats up but to be honest it's still pretty bad. Rekon it's worth about £4500? Cant / Dont want to spend £2000 on injectors. Have contacted several companies and all of them have told me it's a dealership only part - scoured the internet too and unable find anyplace to get them at all, let alone cheaper than the dealer - Mike - What did you mean by "I know the discount matrix for this part" ? I've Got a knocking noise front offside too - one thing after another! Thanks for your continued assistance gents.

The PD injectors are generally very reliable so I can't imagine all 3 would fail together unless the problem you had with the fuel pump contaminated them with swarf.

If the engine regains power when hot its more likely to be a sensor problem

Could be worth replacing the fuel filter, even this has been done recently

May help to come up with more ideas if you run through the symptoms from start-up, through cold running to normal operating temp.

Do you have any fault codes

Cheers Spike

Thanks Spike.
Merlin Diesel couldn't help unfortunately, "only available from audi".
The original problem I had was to do with losing pressure at both the fuel pump and then also within the head via corroded injector seals. The pump has been replaced and so have the seals and this part solved the issue (The car actually goes!). I got the car back but then there was that fact that there was very little power on accelleration. I took it back and I've been told that the pressure is now fluctuating and my mechanic believes the issue to be with one or more of the injectors but as mentioned, he can't get them tested.
Would it be worth biting the bullet and buying one injector? Could he use it then to establish if one of the originals was faulty?
I'll pass on your suggestions and thoughts to him.
Cheers

Rob

Back