Diesel like noise on start up fsi

Trimley61

A2OC Donor
I'm new to the club and would appreciate some help/advice Just bought a 1.6 FSI 2003 with 52k When I start up car from cold it sounds like a diesel for a few seconds, then runs okay. I have changed oil/filter to no avail. Has had Shell Nitro(Optimax)used for last 2 fill ups. I'm genuinely worried that there is something seriously wrong with the engine. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Also power steering makes whining/humming noise on tight turns, not just full lock. Would changing fluid do trick, or does it sound more serious? Again any advice appreciated.

Welcome and rest easy they all do it--its due to the direct injection. As for the steering noise- the power steering is electric and does make a loud noise at idle and car stopped or moving very slow. We will keep our eye open and wave if we see you as we often go through ipswich to get to our sunday treat of a day at Aldeburgh suffolk. why not join us for audi in the park show august11 - at billing aquadrome ? details are in the socials section. cheers mike

Reactions: chb
Thanx 4 reply Sorry 4 the slow return .Have been working lots. Had my car just a few weeks. Love the quality, and in metallic burgundy(Merlot),looks the part 2. Paid top dollar at 4k but with 52k and one owner plus demo its really gorgeous condition. Still thinking about renewing the power steering fluid as don't know how old it is to see if it stops the slight humming noise on tight turns.Audi meeting sounds good at billing aquadrome.Will try 2 make it. Thanks James x

I thought the whole point of electric power steering was that it introduced motors to replace the actions of the hydraulic fluid? so if there is still fluid, what's the benefit of having both?

I thought the whole point of electric power steering was that it introduced motors to replace the actions of the hydraulic fluid? so if there is still fluid, what's the benefit of having both?

I think the main focus was to eliminate the engine driven (via belts) power steering pump which absorbs power even when power assist is not required. There are other advantages in that the level of assistance is easily varied.
I'm guessing that since hydraulic steering racks were already in existence it was easier to come up with an electric drive pump system rather than develop a direct drive electric steering rack.

Cheers Spike

Back