Dilemma's

X

XJSJohn

Dilemma’s

Hi All,

Seeking some “professional opinion” from people who have tried different engine spec A2’s for an extended period (more than test drive I guess)

I have had my current A2 (1.4 Petrol SE) for just over a year now, originally purchased it for town driving only, with the intention that my Jag would be for the motorway work. However, as running costs went up and up on a 25 year old V12, the A2 finds itself doing more and more out of town / motorway work. :eek:

As such I am finding it a bit lacking on the oomph factor when trying to overtake / hold speed (75 – 80 ish motorways).

So to my quandary … have been through the pro’s and con’s and have decided that the obvious choice is to get an A2 with more performance.

Does the 1.6 really have significantly more performance? The figures look obvious, but does one actually see this in the real world?

I am not a fan of diesel or turbo’s (probably because I have never owned a car with either) but do these have any significant open road advantage over a 1.6 petrol?

And finally (for those that have not fallen asleep reading my drivel above) has anyone found any noticeable advantages from chipping / remapping, or has anyone had any gearbox / drivetrain etc issues from doing this?

Love my A2, just need to get one with a tad more poke :D

Sorry that went on so long, and sorry if i am rehashing previous posts, i did track back a few months and did some searches ...

Regards,

John

Hi John
Welcome to the A2oc.
Having only driven the 1.4 petrol and 75BHP diesels, I can only comment on these models.
After several test drives, I initially favoured the petrol for its quiet and refined engine and respectable performance. The diesel always sounded like a tractor round town and its substantial mid range torque did not appear to be much of an advantage. It was only when the dealer arranged a back to back test drive that the differences became really apparent. For me, providing the engine revs don't drop much below 2000, performance of the diesel is effortless, whether, fully loaded, hill climbing or overtaking on motorways.Yes, it is noisier at idle but compensates by being very quiet at speed. Factor in the £50 / year road tax and better fuel economy and in my book it comes out the winner.
If I was buying another A2, it would definitely be diesel but probably the 90BHP TDi - if I could find a good example.
My best advice would be to listen to everyones comments, try and arrange back to back test drives (at least 20 miles) of the 1.6 FSi and a Diesel - then make up your own mind.
Chipping the petrol models only gives another 10BHP and is probably not good value for money. Chipping the diesels can give significant performance gains (25%+) without affecting economy or durability. Your unlikely to see any driveline problems as the TDi transmission is safe to 250Nm which is about what you get from a chipped engine.

Cheers Spike

Hi, just spotted this tread, similar dilemma for me as well and my first post as well !

I'm on the verge of buying an A2 1.6 FSi sport having driven both the 1.6 FSi and the TDi (75 BHP). I only had a short drive in the TDi (hope to get a longer one today) but the noise at idle and the sluggish initial pull away followed by a surge put me off initially. The 1.6 was smooth and seemed to have a noticeable kick from around4k rpm upwards although I suspect if you use the performance mpg would suffer. Most of my drive is urban A/B roads and I only do about 6 -7 k mile a year so the Tdi may not be best for me.

I've only driven the 1.4 petrol 75 bhp in a Polo but it's a nice engine but does lack puff at higher rpm/speed, shame they did not fit the 100 bhp 1.4.

I'll see how things go on the 2nd drive in the TDi, the 1.6 FSi sport is nice but I think the ride may be just too hard on the 17" rims, note sure if anyone can comment ?

Either way I'll be an A2 owner soon so no doubt will post again.

Best regards

Simon

Hi there,

Same situation as yours two weeks ago... Only did a short test drive in a 1.4TDI (75BHP) and I found the tourque really pulled the car in any gear... You have to have it over 2000rpm, the engine was a little noisy for my liking. However, after test driving the 1.6FSI Sport, I found the situation no better... The engine is not as loud but still some what loud when reved and there is that same surge in power after 1-2k rpm due to fsi tech, but I found that driving at 85mph was effortless, I went up through the gears and found myself in 5th gear and doing 85mph in no time... The noisy was fine and the ride was fine for me as like simondh I don't do too much miles each year... Of course if my situation was different, I think I'd be going for the 90BHP TDI but for now and the future, 1.6 is fine and the ride is fine... Mind you I come from a classic mini background so anything is better than that! Good luck tho, its down to personal preference at the end of the day... Some logic is involved, but for me it was finding the right feel for me...

Jia

1.6 FSI

40-50mpg combined no problem
will cruise at 75-80 no problem
needs high 3K+ revs to get the best power output but does go when asked
very quiet and simple ride/handling

1.4 TDI (not owned one, the experience below is based on other audi TDI tech)
50-60mpg combined should be no problem
should cruise at 75-80 easily
will not need as high a rev's because the turbo will kick in earlier
possibly noisey and harder ride/handling

hope that helps as a very quick summary

id suggest the 90bph tdi minimum or the 1.6

ULP said:
What I suppose I am saying is that if you don't like the 1.4 petrols performance at private runway speeds, the 1.4TDI 75 is only slightly better although it consumes less fuel.
We find the 'private runway' performance of the TDI75 to be pretty good. It holds a nice steady autobahn cruise at 80+, hills or no hills and when slower traffic baulks you, it is effortless in picking up speed again. No problem on motorways at all. Our C43AMG is better, granted, but the A2 uses half the fuel...

Hi all,

Thanks for all the great feedback so soon …. Looks like this discussion has broken this down to 2 choices 90BHP Tdi and and 1.6 Petrol.

To be honest, being a bit revvy and loosing some MPG does not worry me, I can drive an A2 as hard as I like, and it still looks frugal next to my V12 :D

There is always the thought that the TDi will be £50 a year cheaper on road fund, and I can put this difference plus whatever insurance saving can be had into the cost of a re-map, to provide the extra performance desired.

I do about 10 – 12,000 miles a year in the A2, which probably splits to 30% Central London, 20% “Open Roads” and 50% Motorway (rough guesses) so less worry about initial pick-up and more need for motorway oomph …

Soooo ……..

Anyone else done a 1.6 and a 90BHP TDi back to back ?!?! :D

Cheers,

John

Which to buy

John

Ive driven all three and bought the 1.6

The reason was the wife liked the look of the 1.6 se sport cc, as it already had the glass roof all the toys and big wheels etc.

But all things being equal the 90bhp tdi is the better bet, despite its harshness at idle noise etc, which is unusual for the VAG group.

The 1.6 performs very similar to the 1.4 at lower revs and im sure the 1.4 is adequate for most however when u get to 45000 rpm, (mechanical sympathy to the side) it really really takes off, the engine note changes to a metal howl and its great great fun.

So I drive it for fun now and then but I would have to have a softer suspension model (the 17” wheels make if horrifically hard) with the 90tdi, the torque of this engine crushes the 1.6’s low RPM torque acceleration which is the real world acceleration, and you cannot ignore the big difference economy benefit.

Don’t be taken in by the FSI as economical as a diesel rubbish, the 1.6 averages 38mpg.

Have your fun or not, it’s up to you.

Regards

Adrian

APSLM said:
John

when u get to 45000 rpm, (mechanical sympathy to the side) it really really takes off, the engine note changes to a metal howl

Didn't know that the FSI had a jet engine :)

ULP said:
I totally agree; what I was trying to suggest is that the 1.4 petrol and TDI 75 models both have similar motorway performance; if John isn't happy with his 1.4 petrol then I doubt the 1.4TDI 75 would make him much happier ;)
Yes, I know what you're saying - it's all down to personal perception in the end. I know that if we were starting afresh with an A2, we would possibly try to find a TDI90 - but, having now got a TDI75, we dont feel short changed or minded to swop it straight away...

Hi,

Don’t be taken in by the FSI as economical as a diesel rubbish, the 1.6 averages 38mpg.

As you can read elsewhere on the site - this figure is largely dependant on how you drive it. I have consistently got 45mpg out of my 1.6 over the last 3 years (I reset the counter every 2 tanks of fuel). Drive it no more than 70 on a motorway and you'll get 50mpg out of it. Certainly not up in the 55 - 60+ figures of the diesels though.

I bought the FSI as my wife didn't like the diesel rumblings at slow speeds - plus there was no 90bph back then. The FSI has a similar rumble under 3000rpm - but much more refined.

If you can't decide on engines - perhaps you should calculate how many miles you are likely to do in it; how long you want to keep it; and how much servicing it will cost you over that period. This might just solve the choice. ;)

Ben

Well, looks like the 90TDi is winning,

Have been kicking my local audi dealers to see if they have a 90TDi and a FSi on the lot that i can run back to back to answe the "ultimate question" which cuts the mustard for me.

I know how i drive, and to be frank will be very impressed to see 40+MPG ... around 36mpg seems to be me. (even the 1.4SE can go once you get it in cam @5,000 rpm .... but it wont last with that sort of treatment)

Thanks to everyone for thier valuable input :D ... you have given me all the key info i need to walk onto a lot and be able to state exactly what i want .....

err ......... after reading loads of comments on here and on the web etc ... I went out and drove a Tdi 90 Sport .....

It was easy on the eye and wallet .... pulls like a little train and handles like a go-kart .....

and now sits on my drive :D

The torque is fab !!

sorry apslm i drive the fsi and get easily 42.5+ combined so i have to disagree. i would also disagree with the suspension being hard. it isnt soft but drive a min cooper s (which i also have) then you will need your dental work looking at as that IS hard!

XJSJohn said:
Have been kicking my local audi dealers to see if they have a 90TDi and a FSi on the lot that i can run back to back to answe the "ultimate question" which cuts the mustard for me.
Our local dealer, Tonbridge, didn't have a single A2 on site when I went there 3 or 4 weeks ago....

A2 engine options

I test drove all three variants before opting for the TDi 90. Admittedly, I like diesel engines but I found the FSI very 'peaky' - nothing seemed to happen until you floored the accelerator.

The 70bhp diesel was fine but I was trading in an Ibiza TDi 130 Sport - essentially a Polo with a Passat engine - so I wanted a bit more performance. The 90 certainly provides that: it is very quick in day-to-day driving and will cruise effortlessly (and quietly) at any chosen speed on the motorway.

Back