Dirty Diesel in Manchester

Skipton01

Admin Team
Well, Tank is back on the road, having had his fuel filter changed and tank drained and washed at a total cost of £230.

The cause of my breakdown problems last week were all down to inferior biodiesel and now that I have a sample in a clear container - I can see what my dealer meant - I wouldn't even cook my chips in that stuff, or even chips for my worst enemy.

So, if anyone in the Manchester area has purchased fuel from Carlton fuels in Ashton under Lyne, get in touch with Trading Standards and also the forecourt manager. I've been back there today (all the diesel pumps were closed!) and told them of my experience and that I intend to recover my costs from them.

They were very good about it all, but the story I got didn't tally - at first they blamed the recent cold weather being incompatible with the blend they were mixing on site and later this changed to their supplier taking the mickey and delivering substandard biodiesel. Hmmmm!

On a brighter note, whilst I was picking up Tank from SKF in Stockport, I noticed a new TT lurking at the back of the service area. On telling the service manager that I had been admiing the car whilst he was away getting my keys, he said 'Come and take a closer look - in fact have a sit in it if you want.'

Naturally, I took up his offer and although I still have reservations about the new shape, I have to say it's a fantastic car inside. The one at Stockport was a fully specced up 3.2 S-Tronic with Bose and red leather interior. Oh well, perhaps if they do bring out a diesel version next year (as I have been told they intend to) I may be tempted!

Cheers,

Mike

Skipton01 said:
Well, Tank is back on the road, having had his fuel filter changed and tank drained and washed at a total cost of £230.

The cause of my breakdown problems last week were all down to inferior biodiesel and now that I have a sample in a clear container - I can see what my dealer meant - I wouldn't even cook my chips in that stuff, or even chips for my worst enemy.

So, if anyone in the Manchester area has purchased fuel from Carlton fuels in Ashton under Lyne, get in touch with Trading Standards and also the forecourt manager. I've been back there today (all the diesel pumps were closed!) and told them of my experience and that I intend to recover my costs from them.

They were very good about it all, but the story I got didn't tally - at first they blamed the recent cold weather being incompatible with the blend they were mixing on site and later this changed to their supplier taking the mickey and delivering substandard biodiesel. Hmmmm!

On a brighter note, whilst I was picking up Tank from SKF in Stockport, I noticed a new TT lurking at the back of the service area. On telling the service manager that I had been admiing the car whilst he was away getting my keys, he said 'Come and take a closer look - in fact have a sit in it if you want.'

Naturally, I took up his offer and although I still have reservations about the new shape, I have to say it's a fantastic car inside. The one at Stockport was a fully specced up 3.2 S-Tronic with Bose and red leather interior. Oh well, perhaps if they do bring out a diesel version next year (as I have been told they intend to) I may be tempted!

Cheers,

Mike

Might not be waiting that long for the A2 afterall :)

It's worth checking that ordinary diesel and bio diesel fuels comply with the British Standard BS.EN 590. It's normally shown on the pump if it does. This ensures a minimum standard for lubricity and cetane number etc.

Cheers Spike

Yes, the BS number was on the pump, but the stuff was obviously a home-brew special! I siphoned a little Sainsbury city diesel off tonight to compare it with the stuff the dealer removed and the difference is startling.

I'll take some photos tomorrow and of the filter it's destroyed.

And who says that I'll be getting rid of Tank if I get a TT2? Ideally, I'd use Tank for everyday stuff and practicality and TT2 for the weekends and trips away. Tank is not for sale and I can't see him ever being offered now either.

Cheers,

Mike

Back