Dis Mpg

Smick

Mike! I know you are just the guy to help me here! Anyone else's opinion welcome too!

Got the car fixed recently under warranty. Gearbox had to come out to change some oil pipes going into the filters.

Since it has come back the instant MPG has not been working correctly. It seems to be operating at a much lower MPG than I would have expected before the repairs.

The other thing is that before, when the car came to a rest, the MPG would revert to ---. Now it seems to stick at the last reading. I got a new tank of Diesel on Saturday and reset the avg MPG on the DIS. I stopped at a traffic light and the instant MPG was stuck on 27.5. As a result the average was dropping, dropping while the car was stationary.

Has anyone else any experience of this? Should I get back in touch with Audi?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Smick,

Unfortunately I can not offer you any technical advice, but this would appear related to the work that you have had carried out. (As you state it wasn't playing up before and it could be a damaged sensor or something similar).

If I were you I would take the car back to the garage that undertook the initial work, whether or not this is an Audi dealership, and notify them of the problem.

If the work was carried out by an independent and they are unable to resolve the issue satisfactorilly, then it may well be a trip to the dealer.

Additionally, if the car is still under warranty, then I wouldn't hesitate to contact them in any event.

You certainly shouldn't have to live with a fault 'potentially' generated by a mechanic undertaking other repairs.

Best of luck!!;)

Darren

It sounds like there is a connection or two that hasn't been reconnected from the gearbox to the DIS unit - quite easy to miss in amongst all those wires and pipes.

Get back to them asap and tell them to sort it out.

By the way, got Tank back from the dealers on Saturday (they'd had him for three days doing a few bits and bobs) only to find that there was a bit of the headlining foam on the floor and that the OpenSky control panel had been forced into place 180 degrees out!!!

The worst of it is that I managed to demostrate the flywheel problem to the workshop manager, so he's got to go in for a complete engine and gearbox out operation to replace the flywheel. I'm going to leave it as long as possible - don't want another A4 again so soon!

Cheers,

Mike

Have been on to Agnew's Audi in Belfast and they are going to take a look at it.

Once more Mike, is there any chance of them finding my engine upgrade from Alan Jeffery when they go to investigate this?

I have just forked out for an extended warranty and don't fancy having it invalidated.

With all the great advice you have given me, I would love to make it to your social and say hello but I am in Dublin so it is next to impossible without having loads of money and time, neither of which I have!

Smick

Unless they read this forum (which isn't unknown), or they actually drive the car and are familiar with the normal characteristics of the A2 (quite unlikely - most service engineers don't know the first thing about how the A2 drives), then there is no way of spotting the re-map, with the euqipment they have on-site.

Cheers,

Mike

Great. The guy who sold me the car said that Alan Jeffrey said that it would be extremely difficult to detect but who knows what they could uncover if they look around long enough?

Back