Disable the driving time warning?

Hi all,

I would like to disable the "driving time warning" alert that occurs on the DIS after a continuous 2hrs of driving. It is simple to stop the warning alert if it occurs (a quick press of the function selector or the reset button), but I am wondering if it is possible to disable this function via VCDS so it never occurs, or even if it is possible to lengthen the driving time period.

Obviously this is a safety feature to allow drivers to be aware they have driven for 2hrs without a break (well....without a break lasting longer than a consecutive 10 minutes), but as my typical journey times are now around 2 1/2 hrs with a couple of breaks of around 4-5 minutes each, with a driver change, I'd like to turn off the alert permanently so it doesn't cause concern for the other driver (my wife).

So......If anyone knows if this can be disabled, or the time lengthened (or not), please give me the heads up.

Cheers

Jeff

Hi Jeff
I had a quick look at the instrument cluster adaption tables and this feature does not appear to be programmable.

Cheers Spike

Hi Spike,

Thanks for checking. I also checked and couldn't find any adaptation for this feature, but I'm not sure I have a full and definitive list of adaptations possible for the instrument cluster control module.

As I couldn't find a way to disable this via the instrument cluster module I'm wondering if there is another control module that might be responsible for the programming of this feature. Again I have searched through all controller label files within VCDS, for my vehicle, for this feature and a way to disable/enable it but I can find nothing.

I have also checked other sources such as http://de.openobd.org/audi/a2_8z.htm, but I'm not sure if my points of reference are fully complete lists of adaptations or if there programmable features that are not described.

I suspect this may be the same as various other “safety” warning features built into the DIS, and it cannot be re-programmed via VCDS, but it would be good to know if anyone can absolutely advise either way.

Cheers

Jeff

Fair point Hughchadd you should have a break when driving.

But in Jeff's case he is swapping drivers so they are not driving for long times. But the dis dose not recognise this fact.

Cheers

David

@David.

The good news is that the argument is about to be taken out of individual hands as GPS technology and insurance become linked.

@David.

The good news is that the argument is about to be taken out of individual hands as GPS technology and insurance become linked.

Watch the backlash at that point. It might happen in the UK (you're already the most watched nation in the world) but the rest of us / the EU will not accept it. Way too much data and misuse potential.

I do not agree that it's "good" in any way, shape or form and slowly find the whole APRN thing unacceptable. You are removing the responsibility for people's actions away from themselves and this cannot be a good thing.

@the OP: The 2 hour thing is annoying, I understand, and I've seen the 6 hour one before..... I haven't heard of anyone changing it.

Bret

I'm all for a lobotomy!

What a sad world it's becoming.

The problem is that a lot of the driver's allowed to drive on our roads have already had one and quite frankly limiting them to two hours would help nothing they simply shouldn't be allowed to drive!

Decent people with common sense quite simply don't need any restrictions in my book although we are all already massively restricted by the price of fuel as driving in excess of six hours would now cost a small fortune!

Rant over.

@Bret

I think seat belt legislation, drink-drive laws, tachograph for truck drivers, and checking driver's phone records at the time of an accident, all suggest this is going happen. And it will be driven by the insurance companies who won't insure drivers who drive irresponsibly.

@the OP: The 2 hour thing is annoying, I understand, and I've seen the 6 hour one before..... I haven't heard of anyone changing it.

Bret,

Thanks for the heads up that you are not aware of anyone making these changes. My thoughts on this alert are in line with yours.

Nor should it be reprogrammable. Driving for more than a couple of hours without a break is dangerous for the driver and other road users. The 'I can keep going ... ' argument is very close to the 'I can drink when I've had a few .... ' argument and is irresponsible.

@hughchadd,

With due respect...nonsense.

Driving for 2hrs is nothing like driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol (not that I’d be aware what driving under these conditions are anyway).

In another post you mention goods vehicle drivers….they are limited to driving no more than 4 ½ hours without taking a 45 minute break, then can drive for another 4 ½ hours, take another 45 minute break and then drive for a further 1 hour if required. This is in line with the EU working time directive for large goods vehicle drivers.....AND this is while perhaps pulling a gross vehicle weight of 44 tons.

How do I know this…..I have held a class one HGV licence for >25 years, hold a hazmat/hazchem licence and have taken, and passed, the IAM tests for motorbike, car and HGV.

I would not suggest disabling critical warning lamps or devices in any vehicle, but this feature is not one of these…..if it were I doubt Audi would allow the alert to be dismissed with a simple press of the DIS function switch.
My point is merly that, for me and my circumstances, the 2hr alert is superfluous and possibly a minor distraction for my wife.

I think I understand your sentiments but believe they are misguided in this case, however, each to there own and all that.

Cheers

Jeff

Back