Disconnecting starter earth cable (starter side)

ca2n

A2OC Donor
Hello everyone,

Just wondering whether it's possible to disconnect the starter earth cable (on the starter side) from the top of the engine (AMF). Had a poke around this morning but couldn't seem to reach the starter end from above. Any advice appreciated.

It is possible but far easier from below. Just disconnect the battery first. If you are taking it off now is an ideal time to replace it for new as they do tend to suffer corrosion problems.

replace it for new as they do tend to suffer corrosion problems.

That is precisely what I intend(ed) to do after a few cold morning no crank issues.

Good news, new starter earth cable installed. Access to starter end of the cable is probably best done from below.

Bad news, no crank with key issue was not resolved with newly fitted starter earth cable.

Good news, I think I found what the actual problem was (see video below).

Bad news, will probably have to live with it, for now at least.

It's probably not obvious from the video, but on the second attempt, I manipulated the key in the ignition barrel and it fired up straight away. On the other two attempts, the ignition barrel was weighed down by the weight of the inserted key.

Never had an ignition barrel apart. But I do not think there is anything that you can adjust. You could take it apart and clean it but more likely wear.
Perhaps @stevec can help as he had ignition switch issues lately.

Back