Diversity unit failed??

A2Dreamer

A2OC Donor
Hi all,

Radio reception has gone to pot!

I've pulled the diversity unit out, checked it's got power to it, and there's absolutely no sign of any water damage or water having been in the boot at all.

Just wondering if there's anything else to check before I get hold of another diversity unit to try?

Cheers

Pete

Have you got your phone or something else plugged into the cigarette lighter? For some reason this can play havoc...if you need a replacement diversity unit let me know as I have a couple here.

Hmm! That's interesting, the Mrs has a little bluetooth phone module plugged into the lighter socket...

I'll nip out now and pull it out, see what happens..!

Thanks also for the offer, I'll come back to you on that.

Yay! Thanks for that clackers!!

Pulled the bluetooth hands free thingy from the lighter socket and massive improvement in overall reception! Tried a simple USB power adapter and that seems fine.

Thanks for the heads up on that 😎.

Will see how it goes over the next few weeks.

Cheers

Pete

The socket as fitted to the A2 is a cigarette lighter socket and not a 12v socket. The difference is in the shape and as such a 12v device does not always make correct contact within the socket. Converse is also true if the socket has been used to run some 12v items often the lighter will no longer work. Yes I know Audi should have fitted a pure 12v socket { or a second pure 12v socket as standard ) after all that socket is what powers the OEM tyre compressor.

The socket as fitted to the A2 is a cigarette lighter socket and not a 12v socket. The difference is in the shape and as such a 12v device does not always make correct contact within the socket. Converse is also true if the socket has been used to run some 12v items often the lighter will no longer work. Yes I know Audi should have fitted a pure 12v socket { or a second pure 12v socket as standard ) after all that socket is what powers the OEM tyre compressor.
Wow never knew that! Love a bit of trivia nice one. Although now I feel bad using it to charge my phone 😆

The "problem" with using a ciggy socket is the internal "fingers" that grip onto the heating coil of the lighter can easily be pressed out by a 12v plug. Being of a full metal design to take the heat this then places the straightened "fingers" very close to the metal can that is the earth connection and does not take much to short them out. There are also slight dimensional differences between the two types of sockets. This may explain why a poor connection is possible.

Use the A2 socket beside the hand brake with care. Better to fit proper 12v sockets to be safe.

Those that must have the 12v plug in a certain orientation (OCD) run a higher risk of shorting the socket. As they twist the plug inside the socket there is a far higher chance of the two sprung negative connectors bridging the small gap between the positive fingers and the metal can of the lighter type socket.

Last edited:
The "problem" with using a ciggy socket is the internal "fingers" that grip onto the heating coil of the lighter can easily be pressed out by a 12v plug. Being of a full metal design to take the heat this then places the straightened "fingers" very close to the metal can that is the earth connection and does not take much to short them out. There are also slight dimensional differences between the two types of sockets. This may explain why a poor connection is possible.

Use the A2 socket beside the hand brake with care. Better to fit proper 12v sockets to be safe.

Those that must have the 12v plug in a certain orientation (OCD) run a higher risk of shorting the socket. As they twist the plug inside the socket there is a far higher chance of the two sprung negative connectors bridging the small gap between the positive fingers and the metal can of the lighter type socket.
Wow, every day is a school day folks, I never knew any of this!!! I just knew that phone charger or the likes caused my radio to not tune in correctly...may invest in a usb socket and fit it under the ashtray...👍👍👍

That is why I have a 12v socket in the boot. I have also fitted a multi adapter behind the steering column that has 3 x 12v sockets and 3 x USB sockets hard wired into an ignition live fuse in the car fuse box. I am using 2 x 12v sockets to power my dash cam and camera detector and 2 x USB to power my built in Garmin Sat Nav and for phone charging. The hand brake socket and the boot 12v socket are permanently live.

Yay! Thanks for that clackers!!

Pulled the bluetooth hands free thingy from the lighter socket and massive improvement in overall reception! Tried a simple USB power adapter and that seems fine.

Thanks for the heads up on that 😎.

Will see how it goes over the next few weeks.

Cheers

Pete
Any chance you can give more details of the gizmo that was in the ciggy socket please?
Edit: Wondering if it's one of the RF devices that link your phone to a vacant frequency at the end of the FM band, rather than Bluetooth?
Mac🤔

Last edited:
Any chance you can give more details of the gizmo that was in the ciggy socket please?
Edit: Wondering if it's one of the RF devices that link your phone to a vacant frequency at the end of the FM band, rather than Bluetooth?
Mac🤔
Afternoon Mac,

Whilst we wait for @A2Dreamer to answer, I can confirm that most 12v twin USB port plug-ins cause this RF interference, some more so that others. I’ve tried cheap and expensive items and still yet to find one that doesn’t cause slight masking of some radio stations. From memory BBC Radio 2 seems to be the hardest to receive with one of these devices plugged in. .

All items I’ve tried are just a twin USB variant and not a FM transmitter. This is one of the reason that I wanted a factory type solution to changing my phone whilst in the A2, hence the Audi QI wireless charger modification. This enhancement does not cause any RF interfere what so ever.

Kind regards,

Tom

Afternoon Mac,

Whilst we wait for @A2Dreamer to answer, I can confirm that most 12v twin USB port plug-ins cause this RF interference, some more so that others. I’ve tried cheap and expensive items and still yet to find one that doesn’t cause slight masking of some radio stations. From memory BBC Radio 2 seems to be the hardest to receive with one of these devices plugged in. .

All items I’ve tried are just a twin USB variant and not a FM transmitter. This is one of the reason that I wanted a factory type solution to changing my phone whilst in the A2, hence the Audi QI wireless charger modification. This enhancement does not cause any RF interfere what so ever.

Kind regards,

Tom
HiTom,
I suspect the problem is that some USB adaptors are of a type which is just a voltage dropper, are cheap, but run quite warm. Others are DC/AC/DC converters, which are a bit less simple, but run cool, and are better voltage regulators.
The difference is that the simple DC voltage dropper generates little or no interference, while the DC/AC/DC converter has a high frequency oscillator to drive it, and this can generate interference. My guess is that the problem is a combination of that radiated interference, and the Diversity constantly looking for the strongest signal.
Not all USB DC/AC/DC adaptors are likely to cause trouble, as the better ones will be CE marked, and have passed radiated RF testing. Not so non branded products of Oriental origin.
I have the DC/AC/DC in my TT, with no problems, but no Diversity Unit.
No problems in the A2 either, fingers crossed!
Mac.

Yep, @PlasticMac , it was exactly that... BT device that transmits to a vacant frequency on the radio, it also incorporates a QC3.0 fast USB charge port.

Connecting a phone via USB didn't seem to make any difference. Now have a plug in (non fast) USB charger and that's fine... so it seems specific to the BT adapter, whether the BT bit, or fast charge bit, I couldn't say though.

Back