Diversity unit fuse ?

Tomsk

Hi does the diversity unit run off it's own fuse or is it connected to anything else, as replaced radio and reception very poor (had lots of water in boot, until I changed vents last weekend)and now boot is bone dry going to check the unit tomorrow, but thought i'd check what fuse it runs off first as I know the 12v aux fuse has blown, thought it might be connected.

have you replaced the head unit with a std head unit or an aftermarket unit ?

The diversity only works with VAG head units, on aftermarket it works asa std aerial
also the after market head units need an amplifier to boost the aerial signal (the VAG head units have this built in) they are about £3 on ebay and are powered from the blue wire on the after market head unit

OK so if memory serves there should be two aerial cables connected to the back of the head unit (I may be wrong as its several years since I had an A2 with diversity)
If both cables are connected, then it is likely that water in the boot as damaged the diversity unit as it sits quite low in the lower boot are, near to the battery, just at the back of the tool holder (or BOSE if you have that option)

there are also 4 amplifiers mounted on the tail gate, each one looks after 1/4 of the FM spectrum
if one of these have failed then 1/4 of the FM spectrum would be very bad
But if all of the FM spectrum is bad then unlikely to be the amplifiers
if you need any I think I still have a set of 4 (they are all different part numbers) in the garage

Yes I have found the unit, but was wondering if it had its own fuse or it shared a fuse with another item. I am going to take it out tomorrow and open it up to see if any water damage (which I suspect there is) or if its just a dry joint. Cheers for that hope it's not the amplifiers as heard the boot cover is a pain to take off.

I have this problem after water in the boot I have lost 3/4 of my FM range of 2 cars now :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi does the diversity unit run off it's own fuse or is it connected to anything else, as replaced radio and reception very poor (had lots of water in boot, until I changed vents last weekend)and now boot is bone dry going to check the unit tomorrow, but thought i'd check what fuse it runs off first as I know the 12v aux fuse has blown, thought it might be connected.

The power for the diversity unit comes from the same feed as the head unit - fuse 2.
Check the connections on each of the coax feeds from the box to the amplifiers. The coax can become detached from the plugs.
If it was under water though the electronics in the diversity unit may well be broken.
The circuit board may not be completely dried out though, you need to remove the board from the box and ensure its completely dry, including between the components and the board before it has a chance to work. They may also be deposits on the board which would cause problems at radio frequencies. If the board is contaminated you could try cleaning it gently with a toothbrush and drying it thoroughly. I cleaned a CCU which had been under water for some time and its still working 13 years later!

regards

Andrew

If you are cleaning it a little isopropyl alcohol can help to clean away deposits. It has worked on laptop motherboards which had been bathed in Diet Coke and Bavarian beer before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before doing anything else, open the battery compartment lid and you will see the "Mystery box" it looks like an empty rectangular slot for a cd /TV player etc.

Attached to this are some wires it at the back that don't seem to do anything.

Move them around, especially the ones on the left. I wouldn't mind betting that this fixes the reception.
Switch on the radio tuned into a frequency that has a radio transmission while doing this and it may burst into life.

Steve B

Thanks guys
I took it out and by the looks of it it is well broken. IMG_2741.jpgIMG_2742.jpgIMG_2743.jpg

I got one off ebay for £12 out of A6 but same part no.
I also installed a connect2 aux that I got of ebay as well, the bloke sent me another box as well with aux,sd,usb on it all for £17 what a bloke:)

Check the connections in that unit in the battery compartment, it might resolve it. Costs nothing to try.

Steve B

Just an update replacement unit came today. Checked it and all good picks up stations now :) Wherever the unit sits in an A6 must not be near water.
69A84BDB-BFE6-46DD-A463-0D882DCBD69E.jpeg
69A84BDB-BFE6-46DD-A463-0D882DCBD69E.jpeg

Back