DIY aluminium colored mirrors

V

vinman

Hi there, someone has just made a deep scratch on the outisde of my passenger side mirror :mad: Now i'm thinking of repairing the scratch myself and paint the outside mirrors 'aluminium' colored, like the RS ones. It think it would look great on our black A2 :)

My question is: what's the best way to remove the mirror caps? I've just had a quick look at the small bottom caps, took one of, but couldn't see a way to remove the large upper caps. Or does it involve taking apart the whole mirror?

Sorry if this question has already been posted, but I seem to have a bit of problems with the 'search' tool. Thanks!

you need torx 20 to remove the screws in the base.
then take out the glass.
then take out the other screws you see.

It's pretty obvious when you're doing it, i think it's 8 screws in all. DO NOT LOSE THEM, they are only available as a complete set.

Bret

Hi there, someone has just made a deep scratch on the outisde of my passenger side mirror :mad: Now i'm thinking of repairing the scratch myself and paint the outside mirrors 'aluminium' colored, like the RS ones. It think it would look great on our black A2 :)

My question is: what's the best way to remove the mirror caps? I've just had a quick look at the small bottom caps, took one of, but couldn't see a way to remove the large upper caps. Or does it involve taking apart the whole mirror?

Sorry if this question has already been posted, but I seem to have a bit of problems with the 'search' tool. Thanks!

Hey there

You thaught of this idea before Me. lol Let us know how you get on;)

Cheers,

A2sport

Thanks all! :) Good to hear I can take the caps off without too much effort.

I'll try to keep you updated!

@A2 Golden Miler: that's exactly what i had in mind. Looks great! :D

Mike, I remembered that photo but could not find it :confused:
Thanks

Vinman - Note
My A2 is the green one in the pic (i think the teckie name is avatar)

The black A2 with Alu mirrors belongs to Mike (Skipton01)

Last edited:
Thanks for the link to the large shot, very nice. And great wheels indeed! :)

Anyone know the closest-to-aluminium RAL colour? I presume it must be RAL 9006 or 9007.

Thanks for the link to the large shot, very nice. And great wheels indeed! :)

Anyone know the closest-to-aluminium RAL colour? I presume it must be RAL 9006 or 9007.

Unfortunately, I can't help you there, as I had my mirrors done by a company in Reading, who also do a certain F1 team!

The laquer is supposedly guaranteed to protect against impacts of up to 250mph!!!

Cheers,

Mike

Back