Do dampers wear out and if so when?

nick4tl

Hi,
I'm just wondering does anyone have experience of the standard audi dampers failing or wearing out and if so roughly at how many miles might i 'hope' for this to happen?
And if they do wear out how much are four replacements from audi?

ok Ill cut to the point. Im trying to justify buying a set of FSDs and keeping them under the bed in the hope the existing ones fail and I can justify the expense :) Reports of Audi shocks all exploding at about 60k would be great.

thanks
Nick

Trust me the price is well worth it, as its been posted on here many times they transform the ride of the car like you wouldn't believe. i was the same thats alot of money but after been out in Tank (skipton's motor) its something that i've seeting my sights on, i'm just a couple of weeks away from fitting them

As Schnelletrecker has posted all stock suspention should be removed and after market fitted Coilovers or FSD's (can't remember the other makes) check out some of his threads they make good reading

Get some and fit them don't leave them under the bed

Phil

Just had a thought Brabazon lives in NI maybe worth getting touch with him as he's had FSD's fitted then you can see what you think

Last edited:
I've had FSD's for about 6 months now and they were fitted at about 48-49000miles. I think they are getting better with time, if that's possible. Car is a joy to drive now. I had them fitted with just the standard spring set up, although I do wish I'd fitted Weitec 30/00 on the front. Might still do that at some point if finances allow.

Car much improved, feels like a bigger car etc., and I agree with everyone else's experience who has 'em fitted. Don't wait another second, you're losing valuable FSD-time... I wish I fitted them last summer!

They are an essential mod to the A2 and need no justification whatsoever! :) Well worth the expense if you intend to hang onto the car long term...

That, and a remap... ;)

Jon

oh damn,
looks like its time for a bit of a spend. Finances are tight but the special offer is too tempting. Just wish someone could say "you'll have to replace them at 60000 miles anyway, go on," :)
I have to say I still get a bit of a shock when i hit potholes even after having the car for 6 months. Also seem to wind up looking at the sky followed by the road, followed by the sky, etc several times when I hit speed bumps.
thanks for the advise

N

i knew it. where's the credit card gone. I'll not be accused of wasting money. and i hear those springs break too. may as well replace the lot while Im at it. :)

Springs as most have done this mod either go for the weitec 30's at the front and STD sports at the rear or as i'm doing keeping the SE rear springs with the 30mm lower at the front

Phil

thanks for that phil. I actually dont have a sport or se just a standard 2002 1.4tdi. I do tend to carry a lot of gear so wasnt planning on any lowering at the back. Is there any difference between sport, SE and standard rear springs? I hadnt thought of that. Was planning on just changing the front.

thanks for that phil. I actually dont have a sport or se just a standard 2002 1.4tdi. I do tend to carry a lot of gear so wasnt planning on any lowering at the back. Is there any difference between sport, SE and standard rear springs? I hadnt thought of that. Was planning on just changing the front.
Sport rear springs are said to be "10mm shorter" then std springs (actually they are not 10mm shorter but they achieve a lowering of 10mm)

Back