Do i want a stealth chip on my 1.4tdi 75???

Hi everyone,

I am interested in increasing the power on my 1.4 tdi 75 02 plate. I have been reading on here that Stealth are very good at doing this and was interested to know if anyone knows A. How much power increase should expect B. what kind of discount being a A2OC member i can get and howm uch will it cost C. Will i need to maintain/upgrade this extra at all.

Also this may sound really stupid but what kind of power upgrades are available. I have heard ppl calling it chipping and also map upgrades but what is this difference in a lay persons language please.

Thanks in advance
James

Hi James,

Stealth are as good a place as any (better than most actually) to have your 75 transformed.

Costwise, no idea I'm afraid, but you should expect an increase to somewhere between 100 and 110bhp.

No extra maintainance is needed and the work consists of re-programming one of the microchips in the engine ECU to alter the parameters, such as fuelling, boost pressure, smoke, EGR rate etc. In the 'old' days, the microchip was actually replaced physically, so the process became known as chipping, but now that the process can be done without removing any chips (the ECU still has to be taken out of the car though), it is known as re-mapping, as the electronic 'map' that the car follows for it's data is what is altered.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks Mike for your reply it helps me to make an informed decision on what to me seems like a very technical sounding field. Your point about the terms 'chipping' and 're-mapping' has also managed to make me sound less stupid i guess when i speak to someone at Stealth.

Thanks again.

the other option is a "tuning box" type device, less sophisticated but diy install and easy to remove ,handy if you had any warranty on the car.
in the past i have had both, but found the remap much smoother to drive and less smokey.

I have just fitted a DTUK 'box which apart from a fiddle to get the '+' live feed was very straightforward to install. I used a box which had been on my A6 so only needed a new loom. I am still playing with the settings but it does not increase smoking ( running on BP Ultimate ATM) . Although it is noticably quicker and smoother ( depends on settings) and mpg does not seem to be suffering I am not convinced it is giving the power boost a remap could be capable of so intend getting it on a RR soon, hopefully when I get the FSD shocks and brakes attended to!

Back