Dodgy fuel...

Rob Earl

Past Member
Thankfully not the Audi ....

My Corsa has been diagnosed as having a faulty oxygen sensor. This will cost £330 supplied & fitted. It will also need the fuel tank & system draining & flushing, at a further cost of £130. It might have been cheaper if it was the A2. :)

I've already got the claims form from Tesco & hopefully re-imbursement willbe painless.

I just don't know how long before I get the car back as the sensors are still in quite short supply apparently.

At the risk of being flamed........................................................................................................... I NEVER use supermarket fuel and refuse to speak to my sister if shedoes use it. She had the decency to admit that Iwas right after the fiasco.

Shell, BP, Elf (if you can get it, best by miles IMHO)n then Esso if stuck. Brim to brim 'tests' from a number of vehicles from 1987 onwards.

I can concur with that. I used sainsburys fuel the other week in my VW (and I have put it into my ex A2) and I found it awful. Car was sluggish and fuel consumtion suffered. Now gone back to shell and wow what a difference back to smooth and powerful performance had the same effect in the A2.
i would never go and use sainsburys fuel again

Nice to be vindicated..............................................

My XR4x4 was more economical on super unleaded by 4 mpg compared with ordinary unleaded in 1989 (ok, ok, sad b@stard) which made it economic to use the more expensive fuel - 2 p more then.

It all comes from the same place?

Just reading this, it all comes from the same fuel distribution center? Really the quality should be a flat line unless the garage doesnt do enough business, then it just sits in the tank and you get rubbish deposits in the fuel. The best fuel is to be had at garages that turn over a high amount of liters...surely? The likeyhood that you notice a difference on deisel fuel is small? diesel has far less molocules cracked in the production process, its not as delicate as petrol; I doubt you'd see a real differance...even then you have to consider compensation from the ECU if you do have a slightly poor fill of desiel? Perhaps on a massive W10 engine you might but not in a 1.4 3 cyclinder? it produces 75 break...are you really going to physically tell you've dropped a few bhp? Someone back me up, or are my assumptions wrong?

Your assumptions are wrong. It does not all come from the same place and specific additives are added to the fuel blend by manufacturers. Spermarkets do not add the 'extras'.

I was told by some one that works on the electrics at these places that all the fuel does come from the same large tanks at a few sites through the uk there owned by Bp or Esso. What changes the qaulity is what the supermarkets add to it. Every body apart from BP or esso buy there fuel from these sites they then take it to another tank and add there additives. Supermarket fuel is usaully cheaper becuase its "watered down".

I probably have to agreee that supermarket fuel will never be of the same standard as that of the big oil companies as petrol is secondary for supermarkets and they don't invest in making the best fuel - they just buy a standard fuel.

As the wife works for TS, the only ones she doesn't remember getting complaints about (with regard to the recent contaminated petrol) are Jet, Shell & Q8. This means that people complained about all the supermarkets, plus BP & Esso. Might be coincidence or people trying to pull a fast one.
Or the same dodgy fuel was distributed to a wider group of suppliers than just the supermarkets....

I dunno - just coming up with some ideas.

Supermarkets buy from whoever supplies them cheapest, I've seen a variety of brands delvering at tesco's so you'll not really see consistency. Fuel isn't watered down as such as it has to meet octane requirements to be sold as such, it's just a variety of detergents etc that may or may not be present, there will always be a small level though.

With longevity then petrol does go 'off' quicker then diesel, this is due to the aromatics or light ends of the fuel hydrocarbons which evaporate alot quicker leaving the less volatile heavy ends. These light ends have a great effect on cold starting mainly. As fuel gets older more of the lower ends will evaporate also.

Back