Door card trim around window buttons needs refreshing!

Exe_Chris

My driver's side door card trim, specifically around the buttons, has been scratched to oblivion by a previous owner who presumably liked to wear rings and drive with the windows open! I think the colour name is platinum grey, but regardless I've attached a picture to show what I'm on about. I'm posting to ask if anybody has suggestions for how I might go about refreshing this so it looks a little better.

Cheers,

Chris

Door_card_scratched.jpg

You could remove the rest of the soft touch coating to make it look better, or i think new ones are quite reasonable? £30ish if i remember correctly?

HI,

You can buy the soft touch paint from Audi.

Just remove the switches and sand it down with fine "wet and dry" and restore it?

You might even find that the panel is still available and not that expensive perhaps?

Steve B

Last edited:
You can purchase the platinum panel on its own for around €19 or £15ish?

http://www.partsbase.org/parts/aud-8z2959522ae82/

Please check the part number on your panel before ordering from a dealer.

Installation is a 30 minute job, with three torx screws, a thin flat instrument to remove the tweeter grill and pulling the panel off from the hidden handle at the bottom of the door panel.

Detach the door latch cable, disconnect the tweeter and pop the window switch panel out.

Refer to the door card trim removal in how to section, buy spare trim clips, be prepared for a fiddly job, refurb or replace with new accordingly.

I removed the offending soft touch paint using cotton buds and methylated spirits. Dampening the bud and gently rubbing took the paint away without scratching or overspill, it worked very well. I think I'll just leave it as it is for now, it looks absolutely fine.

Before.jpgAfter.jpg

i was in my local audi main dealer today to pick up my pollen filter surround and inquired about the soft touch interior touch up spray to restore the same part, the parts guy hunted for a little wile and could not find it, but another member of staff advised that it is listed but a ****** to find on the system and hopefully he will get back to me in the next couple of days with price and availability, i did find this some where on one of my searches lately and may be helpfull .

Gary

audi soft touch paint.PNG

Just out of interest Gary can you please let me know how much the pollen filter surround costs. I changed my pollen filter yesterday and there,s a few chips missing around the black plastic on mine.

Ta
Dave
:)

Thanks for that, I'll be interested to see what you can do.
By the way the wetness on the window switches is water from a cloth, not clumsily spilled meths eating the black paint!

Hi Dave

The pollen filter surround was £4.75 cash sale no discount, part number A6Q0 819 647 N/STK FRAME
It was a ****** to get back in and get the cover on, as to its location, i removed the carpet and undone the torx screw on the main facia panel next to the pollen cover to aid in fitting and can see how easily it can be broken as a very fragile peice of plastic.

Gary

Theres a way to easily refit the pollen filter... Dont push the filter and holder all the way home, leave it an inch or so out then locate the cover and push up and it will go all the way home.

Hi Dave

The pollen filter surround was £4.75 cash sale no discount, part number A6Q0 819 647 N/STK FRAME
It was a ****** to get back in and get the cover on, as to its location, i removed the carpet and undone the torx screw on the main facia panel next to the pollen cover to aid in fitting and can see how easily it can be broken as a very fragile peice of plastic.

Gary

Thankyou for that - not a bad price considering. Mine went in OK but i tried fitting the cover the wrong way round and broke it a bit. I,d forgotten the rounded L shaped end fits over the top part nearest the dash ! :mad:

Last edited:
Sorry to swerve again but which filter did you buy ?. I bought the plain genuine white one for £12 from Mansfield Skoda. The genuine carbon one is around £16. It did dawn on me afterwards that i would have been better buying that one - what are the benefits of the carbon one for £4 extra ?.

Ta
Dave
:)

Hi Dave
i purchased a WIX / MANN one and it was £5.07 with full trade discount.
the carbon filter not only captures dust but also captures fumes .
Gary

I did the same to mine. Took off the door panel and switches. I used neat Stardrops with ammonia wihch removed it all. Looks much better. Not dirty looking.

Looks a great job you've done there!
Roughly how long did it take to complete?
Cheers Jeff

Back