Door micrswitch

simufly

A2OC Donor
United-Kingdom
The door open and petrol unlock button have stopped working.
I assume it’s the micro switch in the driver door?

Yes probably the door open microswitch has an issue. Try flushing out the locking pawl with WD40 as the switch may be gummed up or even wet. If no improvement then either the microswitch has lost its little sealing cap, has failed or the coating on the pawl cam has broken up.

Quickest option would be to replace the drivers lock assembly with new. There is a slight possibility that the wiring has failed as it passes from the door into the car through the A pillar.

In my experience the micro switch is blamed for a lot of issues that are actually cracked solder joint within the locks electronic side. The use of lead free solder (devils materials) is to blame as it is not malleable like leaded solder is and over time the loom flexing is passed into the electronics part of the lock assembly and ultimately to the connector to circuit board joints. It doesn't help that these are quite thick leads compared to the others on the circuit board so when it is flow soldered in the manufacturing process these thicker legs will not get as hot as the thinner legs and thus the soldered joint is more susceptible to clacking

The joints can be heated up, suck off the lead free solder with a solder sucker and flux and reflow with leaded solder, clean up the board with some isopropanol and yours good to go. You can test it before reassembling the lock in the door.

Cheers,
Paul

I watched @timmus disassemble my door panel and lock, resolder the switch and reassemble it all. Having seen it done I would suggest you think long and hard about doing it yourself! Certainly not the work of a moment and plenty of stages where a moments inattention could mean much anguish.
If you can get to Lancaster I unreservedly recommend @timmus' services. The strip down, resolder and reassembly cost less than you could buy a door lock for!

Back