Doors Automatically shut!!!!

Mr Angry

A2OC Donor
hi guys

this afternoon my wife was walking my daughter around the lochs just before the snow came down. when she was locking the car seat into place after the walk, she closed the door when all of a sudden all the doors locked. unfortunately the car keys, phone & house keys were in the car when this happened. where was i you ask..........at work! did i have my house keys with me so i could rush back to get the spares.....NO! my wife had already phoned the police and firebrigade before i managed to tell her what to do or if i could leave work to help out. were the police/firebrigade fast.........as fast as a snail i might add. anyhoos the firebrigade popped the back quarter panel so that they could get the keys to unlock, which they did!

so can anyone tell me what this problem might be and how to prevent this from happening again. the last thing i want is this to cost us another £70 excess from elephant.co.uk and from what autoglass have said it might be weeks for them to get a replacement window for my car, is this ridiculous or what? its been an eventful day for my wife so any help is appreciated!

kind regards me

Lock out! A2ers.

HI MR ANGRY, THis happened to me(way back) but not as you discribe your wifes. I put my keys down in boot whilst loading the shoping, closed tailgate & CLICK-CLICK totally locked out! luckally for me i was only 1/2 mile from home, so had to walk home to collect second key set, then return to open car, but?? what if this had happend 50/100 miles away, or the weather was/as is at present snowing like hell? few thing to say now:
1 learn from your mistake, never put keys down in boot for whatever.
2 how i solved the problem, i had a spare blade blank 'cut' to match original key/s, (this is blade only & not black plastic body portion) i then drilled small hole in the: (body end of blank) approx 3/32" this was to enable to fit onto my house keyring, which you allways carry on your person all the time, can now open car manually watever happens anywhere.
The blank blade + cutting cost me £25.00, which is a small price to pay for the peace of
mind it gives! so to ALL A2'ers out there, you really should take note before it's to late!
Happy driving everyone,
Cheers Alan.
Ps,
Even after above, my car still locks (all round) almost instantely when i close my/ boot tailgate, does'nt give you time to think.

now this sounds like the micro switch has failed so the car doesn't know that the door/tailgate is open, get to someone that can give you a scan, Mike will know if the Vagcom's can do this, the one at work Audi diagnostic has the option to check micro switches by opening and closing doors etc..., one of my back doors does it from time to time you unlock open the door, do whatever i'm doing in the car shut the door go to get in the front and click doors lock, it also does it with the tailgate, unlock get the dog in the boot(eventually) and sometimes not even got the boot shut and the car will lock. If you notice the interior light will not work when you open the boot. Get it checked out first

Cheers Phil

.. it really ought not to do that. I have mine running frequently and I mess with the boot / doors and there's no issue; I also have the original small plastic (spare) key in my wallet anyway.

Bret

If the interior light doesn't come on when you open the doors, the car doesn't know the door has been opened so it will lock itself, i think you can turn autolock off, try it open your door turn the interior light to O(off) leave the door open then lock the catch manually as though the door is shut, then press unlock and watch it lock.

We sometimes have this happen to us at work the interior lights had been switched off the boot was open but with the catch closed to turn boot light out, when the car got moved they pressed the lock button on the remote the car then armed itself the guy pressed unlock opened the door got out then closed the door behind him, because the light didn't come on it relocked itself, it cept doing this untill we turn the switch over and then it was fine

Cheers Phil

VagCom can show if there is a faulty microswitch and yes, the consensus is right, this shouldn't happen.

However, Alans suggestion is by far the best option and the cheapest - getting a spare blade cut, that you can keep on a separate set of keys (or even just in a wallet or purse) is the way to go.

It will enable you to get into the car to retrieve the main key. It won't allow the car to be started and will set the alarm off after 15 seconds or so, but it's small enough to be carried at all times and will save you an expensive call out or replacement glass!

To go about getting one cut, just buy a blank from Ebay and take it with your existing key to a branch of Timpsons, who are normally geared up to cut this style of 'Laser' key blade.

Cheers,

Mike

Automatic Locking

When I got my A2 the salesman did a demo of the automatic locking feature:

Start with the car locked.
Unlock the car using the remote control button on the key.
Open and then shut the door. (This action was optional.)
Wait a few minutes, and the car re-locked.

The action of putting the key into the ignition overrides this feature.

When I got my A2 the salesman did a demo of the automatic locking feature:

Start with the car locked.
Unlock the car using the remote control button on the key.
Open and then shut the door. (This action was optional.)
Wait a few minutes, and the car re-locked.

The action of putting the key into the ignition overrides this feature.

Opening the door should have override the auto, the Auto works if you are near your car and you press unlock but don't open the car, say you've forgoten something and you walk away it will lock itself if you don't relock it.

not sure i like the idea that it would lock itself after i had opened the door, that doesn't seem right to me

Cheers Phil

PS yes you would need to turn the key in the ignition

yeah, I'm pretty sure, normally, if you open the door or tail gate, the auto relock is disengaged. I often leave the tail gate open to work on things or move stuff, mine has never locked itself. That function is for accidental unlocking of the car (from a locked state), when you didn't even know you unlocked it, the car would lock itself back after a minute of no intervention.

My experience is the same.

If you open a door or the boot then it doesn't lock itself again, unless you lock yourself.

If you unlock but don't open then after a certain amount of time it locks itself.

[resurrecting the most appropriate old thread]

My wife discovered the A2's auto-lock function most inconveniently a few days ago. For reasons I've not been able to determine, the keys were put into the central console. Presumably shortly after unlocking the doors, otherwise auto-lock wouldn't have kicked in. Suffice to say the keys were locked in and there was no option for a spare to be provided. Brittania Rescue arrived within 15 minutes of being called and used an inflatable wedge like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370732403007 in the top of the door to open it enough to insert a stiff wire. This was then used to prod the appropriate button on the fob to unlock the doors. No damage was done and it all took less than 5 minutes.

I'd prefer to disable this :rolleyes: "helpful" function - is this possible?

Thanks

John

The doors won't auto relock if the car can detect that the door opened. If you fix the microswitch in the driver's door (by swapping out the lock mechanism), then this should not happen.

PS Exactly the same happened to me at a social last year, microswitch not working, put the keys in the ignition, got ready to go, but there was a delay, so I got out again ... *click*. Oops.

The 'auto-relock' should only work if none of the doors have been opened within a set time (something like 15 - 30 sec) Its therefore possible one of the door locks is not functioning correctly so the CCU has not recognised the door was opened within that set time and re-locked everything. This may also affect the alarm function so its something which needs fixing.
Finally, I don't think the auto-locking is a function which can be turned off.

Cheers Spike

Or another thing is don't leave your keys in the car unattended ie if your not going anywhere for a while unlock the car but leave the keys on you in a pocket, also if this was the drivers door thats playing up then you may start to have problems filling the car as the car my not recognise that the drivers door is open and so not allowing the 'B' pillar buttons work

Phil

Thanks for your responses. Is there a similar microswitch in the other doors? Or does it detect "any door open" via the interior light circuit?

John

All the doors (and the boot) have their own microswitches. You may find that several are bad.

However the 'autolocked keys inside car' problem tends to be related to the drivers door specifically (simply because it is less common that someone enters with the keys from the passenger side).

Thanks Mike

Are the microswitches you refer to different to the switches used to trigger the interior light?

John

I don't know what triggers the interior lights. It does seem bizarre that there are two different sensors to detect the door opening, but that seems to be what Audi have done.

Back