Double Din Problems

VCG1

Hi all having recently purchased a A2 with a double Din Bose system I want to fit a new radio so my daughter can stream blue tooth etc. Where can you purchase a kit to go around the new type square radios to fill the gap so to speak

I don't think you can, this is when I designed my own and produced it on my 3D printer.
It is basically a 3mm thick flat fascia plate made to suit the 2Din hole in the dash and with a shape cut out to fit the new head unit
It must be made in 4 strips as the printer bed it not large enough for the fascia in one piece, but the pieces are notched out and glued together with superglue. Once dried a light sanding and then sprayed matt black to match the soft coat
All looks very OEM when completed

If you are able to measure the size and position of the hole that the new head unit needs then I'm sure I can produce you a suitable fascia, the better you are able to measure the the better the end result

How are you looking to mount the new head unit (this was my other problem to which I custom made mounting hardware) Check out the 3D printing thread on A2OC for further details

Cheers,
Paul

Hi all having recently purchased a A2 with a double Din Bose system I want to fit a new radio so my daughter can stream blue tooth etc. Where can you purchase a kit to go around the new type square radios to fill the gap so to speak

There is no official Audi surround adapter to fill the gap I'm afraid. Paul's 3D printed solution is your best bet. You could go for something like this:

https://www.carcommunications.co.uk...TJ_RiufzrMOk7m_JLRwRECcQYz6-NUu0aAj_HEALw_wcB

However, it'd still need trimming to suit the A2.

Hmmm, personally I would stop there, and rethink. I had a similar situation with Project X for wifey, and if you've got BOSE you'll lose most of the advantages of that superb sounding system by changing the head unit. We ended up buying an X-CARLINK adapter, which enables you to stream your music, use your phone as satnav whilst still retaining voice through the speakers, plus you have got instant Hands-Free phone as well. The unit itself was about £120, but integrates really well.

I would second the aftermarket adaptor option. I used a Connects2 because I’m cheap but the sound is great from the original head unit (non-Bose) and I only need volume 14-15 most of the time.
I tried FM transmitters and looked at various aftermarket head units but all had the same issues for me. The gaps it would leave, the mounting cage and the need to bodge the power supply wiring and possibly the aerial (adding extra cost to the wiring looms and fitting).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another benefit of the Audi OE headhunt retention is that it'll be far less appealing to thieves. If it's the Symphony system with a cassette slot, no self respecting thief will give it a second glance.

XCarlink with bluetooth is a good option and need not be that expensive. Keep your eye out on Ebay. I picked one up for £50 with the correct audi loom (strangely it had been in an A2).

Good luck Geoff

Hi thanks all some great advice there. Looking at it all I will go for the link system take care all.

Hi thanks all some great advice there. Looking at it all I will go for the link system take care all.

Hello,

This is the product you're after: http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.php?productid=301&cat=4

I've installed oodles of them, and it's what I use to achieve this: http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?25265-iPhone-Integration-A-Cup-Holder-Transformed
Definitely the best way to add Bluetooth connectivity to an Audi head unit, allowing you to get modern functionality but maintain the factory appearance (and, in your case, full Bose).

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom thanks for the Link that looks spot on. I love the cup holder Mod cracking move. You should market that take care have a great xmas Richard

Back