Drivers door brace/stay making a cracking noise

Marius

My drivers door, where the brace/stay is located at the bottom is making an awful cracking noise and is sometimes preventing the door from actually closing. I've pulled back the door cover in th'corner but, alas, I can't see nowt.

Please don't reply with 'expensive' in your first sentence. :rolleyes:

Cheap fix!!

What you need is a new door strap, a T25 screwdriver, a spanner and a hammer.

Undo the door card with the T25, remove door card (see elsewhere for details), undo the 2 nuts holding the old strap, tap out the pin at the other end (under the rubber boot).

Re-installation is the reverse of the above!

Parts cost? About £20. Time to do? 15minutes with practise.

Cheers,

Mike

I have just done this repair, I replaced the door check strap and the roller cage that the door check strap runs on. For two doors cost me £35 from Stoke Audi.
I have had problems since my hinge repair with the door dropping slightly and was told last time I took the car back to have the doors re aligned that the door check straps were causing the problem.
On inspection of the door frame area and the connection of the door check strap, it is possible to see this area move quite a lot as the door is opened and closed.
So, with new door check assemblies, there is very little movement in this area now and the doors are smooth in there operation.

I cleaned the door check straps up and am surprised how little ware there is to them, the passenger door strap still having its anodising still intact, but there is defiantly a difference for the better.

Back