Driver's side door won't lock / weird locking noise

Hi everyone,

Our 04 TDI 90 Sport has suddenly stopped locking the driver's side door using the central locking remote or button. All other doors work fine. You can hear the door trying to lock but with a slightly weird buzzing noise. I tried locking and unlocking using the key but got into a situation where I couldn't unlock it at all.. but it eventually did so I've stopped trying that now! The car normally has the security locking set so when you drive at over 10mph it locks all the doors - except now it does this (or tries) everytime you drop below and then above this locking speed again, so it obviously knows it's not locking properly. The lights-on buzzer and courtesy light still works from the driver's door, so the microswitch must be working.
I've attached a VCDS scan log for anyone that's interested.
I know this used to be a common fault on MK4 Golf's (faulty door modules), I'm not sure if this is something similar or whether it's just something mechanical that needs freeing.

Thanks
Steve

Attachments

• VCDS-Log.txt
    3.7 KB · Views: 108
@murdo … this sounds like the issue I fixed with your car’s rear lock, doesn’t it? The description of the buzzing noise makes me think this could be the same thing.

Cheers,

Tom

@stevebootes ... did you solve this? I have the exact same issue. Was going to replace the door lock because of the buzzing noise but i'm struggling to find a replacement with the exact same code (8Z 28370 16D). Having taken it apart to look for the issue its now failing to unlock.

@stevebootes ... did you solve this? I have the exact same issue. Was going to replace the door lock because of the buzzing noise but i'm struggling to find a replacement with the exact same code (8Z 28370 16D). Having taken it apart to look for the issue its now failing to unlock.

No, I still have the issue. I'd like to get it sorted so if you make any headway please let me know!

I have a similar problem with my replacement module for rear left doors. Won't desafe.
I will just put back my original door locking mechanism.
Search on the forum, there were numerous threads on this issue and I think that you can also replace only the microswitches.

Not sure about the Microswitches - I had that issue on my MK4 Golf and you could tell that was the problem by the fact that the interior courtesy light didn't come on when you opened the door, and also that the lights-on buzzer didn't sound when the door was opened. In this case both of those things work for me, so the car does know if the door is opened or closed. It's just the locking mechanism that isn't working for me.

Back