Drivers side rear seat, removal of plastic trim that surrounds fold down pull handle

Hi,

The locking bolt does not move when I pull “up” on the release handle on my drivers side rear seat. Something is obviously not engaging, as I can feel absolutely no movement in the bolt when I rest my finger against it whilst pulling the handle. I’ve removed the piece of plastic trim that is located on the outside side of the seat (the one where you need to push the two plastic pins in, into the seat itself) but I am still unable to see what is wrong with the mechanism inside - too much metal plate etc in the way. I’d now like to remove the plastic trim around the pull handle itself (ie. the plastic on the top corner of the seat) so that I can look down into the seat and see what is happening but I cannot work out how the trim is clipped into place. I’ve tried levering with a screwdriver from various angle and trying to “feel” what is happening, but no joy; all I’ve managed to do is put a small crack in the plastic 🙁. Can anyone tell me whether it is possible to remove this without breaking it?

A bit more info:

I can put my finger on the mushroom end and push the bolt upwards until I feel a spring resistance and if I keep pushing it somehow activates the mechanism that locks the bolt in the “up” position. I can then flick the black plastic lever and the bolt is pushed down again by the spring into the lock position. I am unable to get the handle to pull the bolt “up” no matter how much I jiggle and twist and manually lock/unlock

Just to be clear, the seat is not locked in place. It is folded down, just laying on the seat base, so that I can work on it whilst kneeling on the ground next to the door.

Nb. The seat was originally locked in place (it was like it when I bought the car) but I managed to lift the plastic sheath and bolt up using needle nose pliers until I could get a flat blade screwdriver under the mushroom shaped end and lever it upwards, out of the locking plate slot(s)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Good Evening,

A lot of detail in your post, but it may be me being thick, but what are you trying to ultimately trying to achieve? Is it to put the seat back up so it locks in position at to top at the side as it should and it won't at the moment because of the stuck pull handle?

Also I am not clear on 'the seat is not locked in place', does this mean you can take it out of the car if you wished?

I cannot see removing the release handle trim will get you anywhere.

Andy

Hi Andy

Thanks for your reply.

My aim is to have the seat back be able to fold up/down as it should. i.e. to fold the back up and have it lock into place with the bolt through the plate. Then, to fold the seat down, I should be able to simply pull up and hold the handle to release the bolt from the plate.

At present, whilst I would be able to fold the seat back up and have it lock into place, I would then not be able to unlock it again - as pulling up on the handle does not release the bolt from the plate. The handle appears to be completely disconnected from the bolt.

When I said “the seat is not locked into place” I meant that the seat back is currently folded down (i.e. laying flat on the seat base), so that I can view and work on the bolt mechanism whilst kneeling on the ground outside the car doorway.

I want to remove the plastic trim at the top corner of the seat as I am hoping that this would allow me greater access to the mechanism that should be operating the bolt when the handle is pulled up.

Thanks
John

Good Afternoon John,

Thanks a lot clearer. Just to be finally clear, can you remove the entire seat from the car if you wish?

Some time since I have grappled with any rear seat problem and remember little, apart from kneel on the base of the seat when folded flat, you have done this?

I would have to start again searching for information, many excellent threads on rear seat problems over the years but finding them is difficult. I would start with a Google search 'a2oc rear seat release', try it many links pop up, this one from @audifan looks pertinent

Keeps us informed.

Andy

Thank you for that link Andy. If I can manage to see between the billions of pop up adverts on that workshop manual site then I think that I should be able to glean the info I need. Thanks again.

I suggest you google with
site:a2oc.net rear seat release​

I found this thread with I think your problem with a solution:

Don't scare yourself by looking at "Broken rear seat handle" - that person cut his seat up with angle grinders etc !!

Back