Driveshaft boots

A2Si

Today I've got to do both driveshaft boots . Just wondered what the easiest way is to do the inner. I was thinking of unbolting the shaft having disconnected on the outer end.
Always struggle with the cone and stretchy boot . Does the inner joint come off the shaft or in fact probably it's the outer one . What is the easiest way to get it apart.

Sent from my Nokia C01 Plus using Tapatalk

Morning Si,

Hopefully the below linked thread from Kraig @kraig22 helps out Sir:

Kind regards,

Tom

Thanks Tom I got it done and typically i have only just seen your reply.
I did it a bit differently.
Jacked up car , wheel off.
Release track rod end and remove drop link ( it needed replacing anyway) .
Undo brake caliper sliders and hang it out of the way. Remove brake disc.
Centre hub nut off (actually you could slack this off earlier but I used an electric impact tool to whizz it off)
I disconnected the 3 13mm bolts holding the bottom ball joint so that the whole hub can be pulled to one side giving access to the driveshaft.

M10 multispline bit ( I found I had to use an extra long bit in a 1/2 socket on two 12" socket extensions to reach it from wheel arch). 6 bolts . .i had to spin the driveshaft to allow access to the bolts.
Finally driveshaft came off.
To recondition the shaft i neeeded to remove the inner joint by remo

Which boot kit did you fit? I have found gkn from euros to not last very long so currently trialling SKF universals which feel superb but time will tell

I used motaquip duraboot kits. Quite stretchy but the clamps were oversize so took a bit of fitting as they needed to be curved to fit the smaller diameter of the shaft. Hopefully it will be ok. I've replaced the nearside with a rj full driveshaft so maybe I will swop the offside as well.
I didn't finish the description earlier as the phone/internet was playing up.
I've used these boots before couldn't really comment on the life of them but I do feel like MOT time is driveshaft boot time on at least one car !

Back