Droplink size for lowered cars

CrispyEdd

United-Kingdom
Hello all,

Im looking at fitting the eibach fabia lowering pro springs 25mm lower. Would i need to fit smaller droplinks?
I think standard are 270mm is this correct?

Yes I agree stock should be grand.

Talking through your suggestion of shorter stab bars.....

If the car is lowered the the angle of the ARB where it joins the lower end of the stability bar will change.
Stating the obvious the distance between the upper shock mount and anti roll bar won't change if you keep stock stability bars.
If you lower the ride hight its the same as going over a constant bump, the suspension is compressed permainantly. (EDIT, but still within the range of travel a stock suspension set up goes through).
The front ARB on the A2 is shaped along its length to avoid it fouling on parts if the subframe.(EDIT, the arb position at rest will be different between two suspension set ups).

The suspension travel with lowered springs will be less however the maximum compression of the shock absorber and spring between stock and lowered set up should not change.

Fully adjustable ones do look good though......

Edit

I'm not a mechanic. I don't know what happens to an A2 when you lower it. :)👍

Last edited by a moderator:
An A2 I bought last year came with "stance street" lowered suspension. Made it handle like a dream, really stuck with hardly any roll, but I'm over 50 so changed the suspension to Bilstein B4 and normal ride height. I still have the suspension I took off it which I believe had been on for less than a year. The Stance suspension was set at the higher end of it's range as the car had 17" wheels, so it was only lowered about 35mm. The Stance kit as fitted to the car came with adjustable drop links which despite the relatively modest lowering were set at 220mm.

Conversely to this direct experience, the Stanceduk website (kit 1072) states that any lowering greater than 40mm would require their adjustable length drop links. This implies that your intended 25mm lowering would be fine with original drop links.

Other than obviously affecting the roll characteristics, I am not sufficiently schooled in suspension set up to know whether a shorter drop link would be beneficial with a modest lowering.

In summary, yes you will be fine with original droplinks with a 25mm lowering, but you MIGHT (and I stress 'might' because I'm guessing) be even better with slightly shorter drop links.

Trevor

Meye HD are roughly £30 for the pair.
In comparrison I put this ebay item in my basket for 12 hous and was discounted to £50.

Although with meyle you do know what your getting regarding build standard.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240127_021043_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20240127_021043_eBay.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20240127_021053_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20240127_021053_eBay.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 26
Back