DTC Code 16787 - EGR Valve Malfunction - How to clean it??

a2_mat

Hi All

I have only had the A2 for 1 week and the engine light is on.... I got a VAG-COM and it had 2 codes:

16500 - Coolant Temp Sensor faulty
16787 - EGR Valve Malfunction

I have replaced the coolant temp sensor this morning in the hope that this was quite cheap and easy to do, with it possibly being the reason for the EGR code too... The coolant faulty message has now gone but the EGR code comes back on after about 20 minutes of driving.

My question is can the EGR valve be cleaned? How easy is it? and does anyone have some pics to make it easier...

Its a 1.6 FSI 2003 if that helps...

Mat

Thanks for that... I will see if the pipe is leaking.... If I blank it off at the manifold end will it still bring the Engine Management light on?? Seems an easier option that spending loads of money fixing something that will reoccur again...

Thanks for that... I will see if the pipe is leaking.... If I blank it off at the manifold end will it still bring the Engine Management light on?? Seems an easier option that spending loads of money fixing something that will reoccur again...

Is the EGR easy to get at to clean?? If I blank it off will it stop the warning light coming on and the fault code or will these remain???

Update

Is the EGR easy to get at to clean?? If I blank it off will it stop the warning light coming on and the fault code or will these remain???

Well I had a goot look last night to see if the EGR pipe is leaking and it woudl seem the previous owner has blanked it off at both ends so I am guessing that is why the EML is on.... Is there a way to stop this or will it just now be on for ever????

If anyone else who has the EGR blanked off has the light on I would appreciate a reply just so I can stop worrying about it.... Must be the engineer in me as it really bugs me...

Hi it is highly likely that the reason it is blanked at both ends is due to the pipe having a crack in it. The reason it causes egr malfunction is that the egr end blank must have a cut out in it to let the "pip" on the egr valve protrude into (egr valve has a feed back and if it un able to travel fully it will alarm out).
i am about to have kits to do this very job-i was hoping to have them for this weekends audis in the park but i have not had chance to do the egr parts. But i will soon. As a short term fix you can un plug the egr valve-conector is at the bottom at the back of the valve. This wont stop the light coming on but it will stop the motor on the valve being damaged.
cheers mike

Hi Mike

If you gets the kits done I will definately be interested as the light on drives me bloody mad.... Thanks for the info...

Mat

Back