Dual Mass Flywheel Replacements and Options?

Fallan

What are the options on the 90bhp ATL engine for replacement of the dual mass flywheel?

I've used the search tool on the forum, which shows various threads about similar questions, but not really any definitive answers.. I've read both yes/no answers. I realise it is designed to use the OE dual mass however other VAG cars have had this conversion carried out with no issues and often with more PRO's than CONs.

Is it possible to do a single mass flywheel conversion on this engine? What parts have people have used (part numbers would be great!)

Failing this, which brand clutch/flywheel is recommended/preferred?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I have an ATL and researched this when my DMF was on the way out. Can't comment on the conversion option other than I was told that doing this would result in an increase in vibration and I was advised not to consider this - so I didn't !

Again, during my reading up on this I was advised that OE Audi clutch / DMF was made by LUK. I went for a DMF and clutch assembly bolted together as one unit. Seemed false economy not to do this. I'll dig out the part number. Only thing not included that you'll need to buy separately was the thrust bearing. The one on my car (94k miles at time of the work ) was close to failure.

Someone more tech savvy than I will hopefully advise on the conversion pros and cons you speak of. This was my experience and I will edit in that part number for you for reference . Memory serving I paid 340 + VAT from Euro Car Parts in 2014.

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthrea...news-(-DUAL-MASS-FLYWHEEL)&highlight=flywheel

part numbers and hopefully useful information on this thread

Last edited:
A dual mass flywheel acts as a shock absorber between the engine and gearbox. When compared to the 75 hp tdi, the more powerful 90 hp engine is subject to increased torsional vibration which can cause gear chatter and 'fretting' in the gearbox and the DMF is designed to eliminate this.
Replacing it with a solid flywheel could be OK for a track day car but the possibility of annoying gearbox noises may not be acceptable in your every-day drive - so I'd recommend 90 TDi owners stick with the DMF

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
Thanks guys, appreciate the input!

I had a new DMF and Clutch fitted to my wife's car last year, a hefty bill (My mechanic is not expensive for labour either) but it was still just under £1,000 all in. (perhaps less with the kit that Dave (SpecialEdition) linked to, that is a great price.)

But what a transformation.

The symptoms were not severe, but the pedal used to vibrate slightly when you put initial pressure on it and this varied from mild to not so mild.

So I bit the bullet and had it all replaced and the difference was amazing, a lighter pedal (due to the new clutch) and no vibration at any point.

It was worth every penny and I know that some people shy away from the TDI90 because of the DMF (and variable turbo) but the original DMF and clutch lasted for 12 years and 90,000 miles. So that cost spread out over 24 years and 180000 miles (the expected life of the new one added to the miles so far) is not as bad as it sounds.

I much prefer the 90 driving style / torque than even my remapped 75 (now 105 BHP).

So to me I would never be put off by the thought of the DMF and turbo. The 90 is a cracker of a car and has the perfect power for today's roads (and enough to surprise many a more modern car at the traffic lights!)

So if you are thinking about a 90, don't let the DMF / Turbo put you off altogether !!!! Drive one (even one that has not been remapped) and you will find it a pleasant surprise.

Steve B

Last edited:
Back