ECC blowing hot air all the time ?.

Dave M

Admin Team
United-Kingdom
The temperature,s gone up today and it got quite warm in the car so i thought i,d try the air con for the first time. Its probably been covered many times before but i,m getting constant hot air blown out across the range from low to high - even when i turn the econ button off. Any diagnosis would be welcome please and tips for a fix.
Many thanks,
Dave

The temperature,s gone up today and it got quite warm in the car so i thought i,d try the air con for the first time. Its probably been covered many times before but i,m getting constant hot air blown out across the range from low to high - even when i turn the econ button off. Any diagnosis would be welcome please and tips for a fix.
Many thanks,
Dave

Firstly the ECON button plays no part in the ECC, it just disables the pre heater Webasto.

If it is blowing hot even with the temperature set on minimum then it could be that the flaps are stuck.

Try running it on low temperature for a few minutes, then turn up the heat to full for a few minutes, then down to cold again and repeat this sevral times, just to give the flaps a chance to free up.

It could also be the infamous sensor fault (you will find lots of threads on here about that.

Once it stops blowing HOT when set to cold you might need to regas the Air Con if it does not get icy cold.

Good luck with it, you need a bit of luck to get it working correctly like that.

Steve B

Thanks Steve. Ive tried rotating things round a bit but no luck so far - i,ll give it a bit longer on each setting and see what happens.

Thanks Steve. Ive tried rotating things round a bit but no luck so far - i,ll give it a bit longer on each setting and see what happens.

Hi,

If it is anything like mine, you will jump in the car in a day or two and it will be working fine.

Mine was intermittent and we lived with it and just opened the windows when it happened, rather than strip the dash down to get at the sensor! (I am not agile enough to try to do it on my back and try and reach it, certainly not in this weather.)

Steve B

The ECON button primarily disables the compressor which mean that it stops the air-con function. In cold weather (below 7C), this also disables the auxiliary heaters.

The ECON button primarily disables the compressor which mean that it stops the air-con function.

That is what I used to think, but many people have posted on here that it doesn't directly affect the air con in any way, it just disables the pre-heater.

It would be great if someone could clarify this point because I keep on getting opposing views on this.

I believe that it doesn't affect the Air con, just the preheater, but I am now not so sure!!

Steve B

The Econ button where introduced many years before the pre-heater was invented and had, as only task to disengage the AC compressor. The pre-heater is not active at all in the summer and you mean the the button fill no purpose half of the year? Does not sound logical to me.
This is the way it is been on all Audis I have owned.
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/air-con-climate-control-faqs.57270/

The Webasto pre-heater was on even the earliest A2s I believe?

Not doubting you at all, it is just that I think we should clear this up one way or another so that we are not confusing members.

The article you linked to is not for an A2, remember our little A2s are not the same as other audis!

Steve B

This is what the owners manual says -
ECON - the aircon compressor can be switched off to save fuel. However, the system then no longer provides full temperature control etc.
On diesel models the supplementary heater can also be switched off by briefly pressing the button. This helps save fuel.

For info, the A2 aircon unit uses a fixed drive with a variable displacement compressor. This allows the system to work the compressor just hard enough to achieve the required cooling level, making the climate control system extremely efficient. In econ mode the compressor still runs but at approx. 2% output. This also means the seals are continually lubricated and unlikely to dry out - not the case with clutch type compressors * which don't turn in econ mode

*Most systems of that era had compressors with an electric 'on-off' clutch giving all or nothing performance - and the risk of early failure if switched off for long periods

Cheers Spike

PS. The 2% compressor output figure is to all intents and purposes the same as the aircon being switched completely off - apart from the positive effect on the compressor seals.

Last edited:
Hi Spike,

Thanks for that clarification.

But I think it shows why neither of us were right or wrong

The manual starts by saying
"ECON - the aircon compressor can be switched off to save fuel"
It then goes on to say
"In econ mode the compressor still runs but at approx. 2% output"
So therefore it cannot be switched off.

So it would have been clearer if they said "ECON - the aircon compressor can be reduced in power, to save fuel"

We would then know what they are trying to say.

Thanks for the input, at least we have a clearer understanding now.

Steve B

:) No offence, but I think you already are confusing others with unsubstantiated statement about the funktion. :rolleyes:
To what I already mentioned, you can add the description in the A2 owners manual. With regards to ACC in the A2, it has the same basic functionality and logic as rest of the Audi family.

The Econ button always switch off the AC-compressor.

:)
The Econ button always switch off the AC-compressor.

No offence taken, this is a healthy debate, but as Spike just said the ECON button does not switch the AC compressor off on the A2, it keeps it running but at a low power.

Hence the confusion.

Steve B

Always expect the Spanish inquisition or when you buy an A2 there will always be a fault. Ive been up and down the temp range all afternoon and no change. Ive also noticed that the temp gauge now registers a tad under 90 - dont know whether its linked or not ?.
I will take it for diagnostics and see what comes of it - in simple laymans terms i take it a temp sensor is a difficult job and will cost me lots of money ?.

Always expect the Spanish inquisition or when you buy an A2 there will always be a fault. Ive been up and down the temp range all afternoon and no change. Ive also noticed that the temp gauge now registers a tad under 90 - dont know whether its linked or not ?.
I will take it for diagnostics and see what comes of it - in simple laymans terms i take it a temp sensor is a difficult job and will cost me lots of money ?.
Hi,

The temperature sender is unlikely to be the cause but the system will use the readings from it to determine how and when to start chucking out heat. But a broken sensor is more likely to make it colder in the cabin rather than hotter because it just delays the fans until the coolant temperature is at a certain level, if the engine has fully warmed up it then plays no part. So it seems unlikely that this is the cause.

The sender that MIGHT be causing this is buried under the dahs and is a PIG to get to and so the sender is cheap but the labour charge is dear in relation, unless you do it all yourself, but check the threads on how to do it before you start stripping the dash.

And the diagnostics is the best way forward, that should pinpoint the problem, especially if it is a sender.

Steve B

Thankyou Steve - much appreciated - diagnostics it is then. I will get back to you with the results

Dont pay a garage for diagnostics, invest in a generic vcds cable with the lite free version software, or the £300 one if you can

Or try dashcommand App and wifi dongle £15.

Going back to your earlier diagnosis - just out of interest what controls the flaps opening - do electrical messages come the sensor or the ECC unit. Sorry but i,m not that good with the technical stuff but i,d like to learn more.:).

Back