ECU reset ???? Anybody 1.4tdi.

Hello to all got the dreaded limp mode , usual suspects all dealt with.
But on trying to reset faults that came up said that the main ECU required reset.
After trying most things web wise still stuck with an ECU that won’t reset.
Car did stand a long time with no battery and some 3 months to recommission.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Can you clarify which model of Tdi - AMF (early Tdi75) engine, BHC (late Tdi75) engine or ATL (Tdi90)?

Secondly, are you able to send a photo of the main ECU in the passenger footwell underfloor area - the label on top of the ECU will identify which model it is, which in turn may make assistance somewhat easier.

Many faults are secondary to low battery voltage, so it is possible that once you are able to ensure that the battery is tip-top that some errors will need to be cleared, possibly by someone with proper VCDS in case there are any incompatibility issues with a generic ODB reader meaning that this error can't be cleared so easily.

I see that you are apparently in Stirling - can you confirm?

Hello to all got the dreaded limp mode , usual suspects all dealt with.
But on trying to reset faults that came up said that the main ECU required reset.
After trying most things web wise still stuck with an ECU that won’t reset.
Car did stand a long time with no battery and some 3 months to recommission.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Not making any sense as there is no ecu reset on the edc15+ ecu’s
Read out any fault codes and then reset (clear) the codes and see what if anything comes back

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Paul, New battery installed, ECU still says reset required , get the codes later today outstanding.
Thanks for info thou.

Does it start and drive?
If so, maybe the ECU just needs to get some real data, to fill the empty memory spaces.
Just speculating that what is meant by ECU reset. You've asked for data, that isn't there yet
Mac

Hello again , yes car starts drives up till fourth gear then at 2000rpm hits limp mode.
orginal fault codes were 17552 mass airflow sensor open circuit/ short 2 ground .( fixed) code cleared.
17964 charge press. Carl. Value below lower control limit.????? ( intercooler ??)
17978 engine control module (ecm) disabled , Not ECU sorry guys .
Not got ecu number yet , but on re reading codes suspect it’s not that.
The car also now has new high power battery a good one , silver Varta.

17964 error code is charge pressure . Control value below lower lower control limit. System did not like short codes.

So the limo mode is likely the lack of boost pressure as the ecu will call limp mode to protect the turbo if there is say a total lose of boost pressure
This is where I would be investigating. Disconnected pipes, blown intercooler especially around the plastic end cap at the bottom. Just follow all the large bore pipes from turbo through intercooler to engine intake
If all is well then change the sensor in the top turbo pipe or the intercooler depending on engine type

Paul

Have ordered new intercooler and sensor, All pipe work seems good no chafing , rubbing.
New air filter , fuel filter , usual suspects all done , air box fine.
intercooler is very old , oily hard to tell but looks like someone has tried silicone sealant at bottom.
So going for that . The ecm still not sure how that’s reset.

I would sort out the intercooler. It’s a front bumper off to fit it job then go from there

Paul

Yep my thinking too, intercooler plus new sensor.
Anybody know the part numbers for the daft , plastic pin things that hold it and other trim on.

The ecm still not sure how that’s reset.
There is no ability to ‘reset’ the ECU/ECM (call it what you will). This is a total red herring.

I agree with what Paul has written above; the most likely cause of low-pressure limp mode is a loss of boost somewhere between the turbo and the engine intake. If there is evidence that the intercooler has been bodged with silicone sealant in the past, then this is probably the cause.

Once the underlying issues are sorted, the ECU will see that everything is in order and will stop triggering limp mode. Nothing needs to be done with the ECU/ECM at all, but it’s useful to clear all the fault codes once the underlying issue is resolved and the car is driving nicely again. 👍🏻

Best of luck,

Tom

Back