EGR Valve Blanking

Fish

I've had the A2 for some time now and it is now out of warrenty. I want to blank the EGR so it doesn't continue to injest rubbish from it's own exhaust. Anyhow I've had all the bits including cold air funnel off and I can't for the life of me see how you are supposed to get to the bolts to take the EGR pipe off to enable you to then get to the EGR Valve bolts to the manifold.

How are you supposed to take it off to clean and blank etc

Has anyone done it....

The car is a 1.4TDI 90Bhp. I'm conscious that if blanked it might prolong the life of the VNT in the turbo.

I tried just blocking the vacum control pipe to the EGR which I assume will inhibit it's opening but that pulls a fault code of EGR outside normal range.

ANy thoughts and anyone done it...

Cheers

James

Hi Fish

If its anything like the FSi Petrol engine be careful how you blank off the valve. On the petrol version the actual valve plate is right where the exhaust feed (the flexible metal pipe) connects to the EGR valve and actually extends into the flexible pipe, so if you try to blank it off there the EGR valve will hit the blanking plate, possibly damage it and almost certainly pop a fault code.

Dont know about the TDi version but if you do try to blank it off, check first :)

Kind regards

Thanks. I would imagine the easier place to blank it would be at the exhaust end of the pipe. The bolts looked achievable. It would have been nice to take it all off and clean it up....

On mine its actually easier to get to at the EGR end, but the engine end would be the much better option!

Good luck

It is possible to completely code out the EGR System during having a custom remap done.

Hope this helps,
Cheers, Al.

Anyone with a full version of VCDS can turn down the effects of the EGR - although it can't be turned off completely via electronic means.

You don;t need to have a remap done to take advantage of this either!

Cheers,

Mike

I tried turning my own EGR valve down in VagCom but found when I went back to the settings after a month, they just went back to standard values.

I've since had it mapped out completely so it doesn't open at all.

Back