Electric A2 convertion Part 8

Amazing stuff, well done.

Looking forward (as i'm sure you are) of seeing the completed outfit with everything in place... are you going to set up a business converting A2's?

Deadman, I think you misunderstand, Phil (Grim Reaper) is relaying the info to us,keeping us updated. He's not doing the actual conversion.

The Conversion is being done by a man in Northern Italy. We're just following his progress. :D

Cheers

SARGE

Pretty impressive though :)
Do you know any of the spec is it still 4 seater and what sort of distance -recharge time are they looking at!!
The lotus conversion on top gear was an exceptional idea but fell down on recharge time about 16 hours and they were using newest lithium batteries!
Also cost was pretty high for what was going to be production car !

I like the look of the honda system
http://gas2.org/2008/05/05/the-clea...civic-gx-and-other-natural-gas-vehicles-ngvs/

Can't understand why our goverment has not forced companies like landrover and jaguar to fit via license from honda would create a whole new industry ready made :):)

Last edited:
Do you know any of the spec is it still 4 seater and what sort of distance -recharge time are they looking at!!

It will be a STD car when its finished as all the batteries will be placed under the car and up front he's just running it like that as untill he gets everything working. Not sure of the recharge times don't think he's said anything about that yet, it looking good though i will keep you posted

Cheers Phil

The lotus conversion on top gear was an exceptional idea but fell down on recharge time about 16 hours and they were using newest lithium batteries!
Also cost was pretty high for what was going to be production car !

I like the look of the honda system
http://gas2.org/2008/05/05/the-clea...civic-gx-and-other-natural-gas-vehicles-ngvs/

Can't understand why our goverment has not forced companies like landrover and jaguar to fit via license from honda would create a whole new industry ready made :):)

The recharge time won't be anything comparable to refueling a tank of fossil fuel as long as batteries are used as the energy storage. As impressive as it looks, most people understand batteries are never going to be the answer. It will be an A2 that can only travel short distances and must be recharged all the time. The batteries, even li-polymer has limited recharge cycles, say about 300, is 5.8yrs if you recharge every week. Without clever recharge programming, the total capacity will simply degrade (reduced milage) as some cells die quicker being exposed to more frequent charge cycles.

The Tesla may have Lotus chassis but Elise with batteries it most certainly isn't. It is the first alternative fuel car that has some desirability and i give them credit for that, even though I don't think battery is the right solution.

As with LPG or liquid methane Civic, I've driven an old factory LPG Civic in the US and it is not half bad! But I wouldn't want to be involved in an accident knowing how highly explosive (not just flammable) the fuel I'm carrying!

Hi humps
Have too agree with you as too battery power non starter!
Yet technology will catch up but will be too late for the eco standards required of mass produced vehicles.

But on gas i would say it has the potential to get the results required

having owned an lpg jag v8 i must say i would recommend them although they still require petrol to preheat engine then switch over to gas.

Every fuel system any were around the world is required too meet strict international safety standards before they are certificated for use

Worst failure ever on road vehicle was petrol people carrier in USA if i remember!!

And as a pointer i first had lpg vehicle 20 odd years ago in germany and have never had a bad experience with lpg

These cars are not the version i am raving about there is an honda version that uses hydrogen fuel cell and electric engine that was test driven on top gear and that is the total deal is available in calofornia will try and find a link.

yes, the FCX fuel cell concept is a totally different car.

At the moment, Honda has trial program to install HomeStation which cracks natural gas into Hydrogen. Then refuel the car as well as power the house. Electric motors seems to be the way forward, be it in-hub or single big motor. The energy storage and source is the billion dollar question. The FC will work so well if Hydrogen can be harvested by Sun light or other renewable source. That is, until nuclear fusion (not fission) brings us electricity that is too cheap to refuse :)

Even if the companies given the contracts to build nuclear power stations started tommorow they won't be on line for 15 yrs minimum.
And that presumes they start soon how long is planning arguments going to last??

interested in responces in that article about viscous convertion of hydrogen from water
if able to do it in car why not in house?
one of the motor shows visited an island used for testing i think by mitsuibushi and they were using the same system it worked via a stand alone converter in drive worked day or night so is viable:)

Humps.
Lpg cylinders can take quite a wallop,years ago they used to be inches thick and could take quite a dent even with BS5500 and the new euro regs they are still capable of being rolled down hills and being undamaged.
Blevies are another story though.

Nice! Very good effort! Although looks a bit hot without air-con ;-)

It would be nice if he can join us at ADI in October! That surely would be a headliner.

Back